DEVONthink 3 and Apple Mail

Hi,

I just got the macos app and was wondering about the difference between the script for apple mail and the option to just send it to devonthink directly. I’m assuming the send to devonthink option is so you can send only a few specific emails to the server. I understand that the applescript is automated, but I had to highlight all the emails and apply the script for it to actually move them. Am i doing this wrong? Since its automated, shouldn’t it be automatically sent/forwarded to devonthink as soon as apple mail receives it, similar to how Evernote will forward emails from gmail straight to Evernote? Or will i continue to have to pick the emails and apply the rule?

Also, in Devnote, the sidebar keeps repeating the loading bar saying “inbox - importing to dt cloud.” Is that supposed to happen numerous times?

Thanks!

Sorry, I’ve never worked with applescripts before and really don’t know how this should work.

Welcome @Autumnssapphire

Apple Mail is imported via DEVONthink 3’s View > Import sidebar or the Add to DEVONthink 3 command in Apple Mail’s Mailbox or Message menus.

There are Mail scripts accessible in the global script menu while in Mail, but those are generally for one-off

Since its automated, shouldn’t it be automatically sent/forwarded to devonthink as soon as apple mail receives it, similar to how Evernote will forward emails from gmail straight to Evernote?

No.
You could set up a Mail Rule using one of our AppleScripts, but generally, using the options, especially Archive Mailbox, in DEVONthink’s Import sidebar is what people use.

PS: Evernote’s mechanism relied on their cloud services for this.

Also, in Devnote, the sidebar keeps repeating the loading bar saying “inbox - importing to dt cloud.” Is that supposed to happen numerous times?

? Please clarify what is “Devnote”.

Thank you for clarifying!

I wrote devnote instead of devonthink. But that part was my fault for using the script instead of the mailbox in devonthink itself.

I realized after posting that there’s a whole pdf guide explaining about devonthink’s features, so I corrected myself and am currently using the archive mailbox!

Sorry about that and thank you! :slight_smile:

No worries! We just retired our DEVONnote application, so I wasn’t sure if you were referring to that.

And yes, there is a PDF or the built-in Help, full of good information on all manner of topics. Cheers! :slight_smile:

Is there any way to import HTML email and retain the original formatting/appearance and images?

The function imports the email as-is. It’s not converting it. If the email is HTML-based, it should display as such.

Note there is View > Document Display > Best or Text alternatives.
A preference to always use the alternative view is in Preferences > Email, also covered in Help > Documentation > Preferences > Email.

1 Like