I have a 2.2 gb database that I am trying to access via the WebServer, When I open the web server via Chrome (or any other browser) and attempt to “open” the database on the web, I just get a spinning loading signal next to the database, where the downward arrow would normally be. I compare that to the 6.6 gb database I have that immediately “opens” on the web server. I have performed verifications, export and import, as well as duplicating documents to a new database - all with the same results. When I run the log, there is nothing that comes up out of the ordinary, or throws any errors from what I can read.
I am hesitant to simply export and reimport all documents, as I’m not sure all the tags I have made would survive the export/import process.