DEVONthink 3 swamping nsurlsessiond cache

When syncing with iCloud on my Mac, DEVONthink 3 causes a stream of useless files to be placed in: ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.nsurlsessiond/Downloads/com.devon-technologies.think3

These files all have the same single line of content, and names of the same form:

names: CFNetworkDownload_???.tmp
content: {“success”:true}

Once a file like this is placed in the cache it stays there, and nsurlsessiond ends up reading it every few minutes, slowing down the system. I got up to 29 million of these files before digging into it, and this was causing nsurlsessiond to read an extra 6 GB every 6 minutes.

I hope this is a DEVONthink bug and not an Apple bug, but at any rate I guess the user workaround for now is a periodic “rm ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.nsurlsessiond/Downloads/com.devon-technologies.think3/*”.

I guess the user workaround for now is a periodic “rm ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.nsurlsessiond/Downloads/com.devon-technologies.think3/*”.

I would not suggest that as the “user workaround”. :confused:
This is certainly not something we would advocate as a general method.

If you do it and know what you’re doing, then by all means you can. However, I also cannot say this is a wise thing to do without Development addressing it.

The next release will fix this.

I can confirm that it’s fixed in beta 7. Thank you.

2 Likes