DEVONthink 3 Sync

Despite some of the detailed help given on some other sync-related threads, I’m still confused as to how to get iCloud sync working the same way as it does in DT Pro Office 2.

I have one database on my Mac that I sync to iCloud. It is also synced to my iPad. I used it for a few months without much problem in the DT2 days, but haven’t yet worked out how to get it to continue syncing with DT3. There is a message that says “Not yet synchronized; upload database.” (Actually, the semicolon is just wishful thinking.) Just to make sure that the database wasn’t damaged or that I hadn’t been imagining things, I closed down DT3 and started up DT2, and was able to sync the new and changed files, but now I’m back in the same situation. I’m wondering where I’m supposed to upload the database, and how to do it? And if I do, I assume that will be a second copy of what must already have uploaded successfully?

Am I supposed to do something to get sync to continue to occur as it has hitherto?

What is reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log? That’s always the best place to start.

PS: When beta testing, it’s always wise to use copies of data or test data. I personally also advocate running DEVONthink 3 on a separate macOS User account to keep things isolated. Your data, your choice - but I always err on the side of caution with peoples’ data.

Oh, I hadn’t thought of that. Thanks. I have a whole spate of iCloud: Invalid encryption key messages. Perhaps I need to get a new app-specific password for DT3?

You need to use the same encryption key you used when you synced the other devices, or leave it empty if you didn’t use one.

1 Like

I hadn’t even remembered that I had set an encryption key in DT2. That did the trick. Thanks!

You’re welcome. Simple and logical ! :slight_smile:

Its not very logical if you don’t have a password set as you’re still being asked for password, I made this mistake last time when the sync first came about. It might seem logical and simple if you know the answer, you should have in the dialogue box if you don’t have a password to leave it blank!

I am having this exact same problem but with Dropbox. Any suggestions on how this can be fixed?

Thanks!

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.