DEVONthink and Apple Mail

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

I have successfully installed the DT mail Add-on/ Plug-in, however the Add to DEVONthink action doesn’t appear in the contextual menu (right click on a message), only under the Mailbox and Message menu items. Is that right? Or have I missed something in either Mail or DT preferences? I also use SmallCubed’s MailTags plug-in (highly recommended), which adds various actions to the contextual menu, so for me it’s the natural place to look. Is there a way to add the Add to DEVONthink option to the menu?

Also, the Add to DEVONthink option under both Mailbox and Message menu items have the same keyboard shortcut. Should they? Being a bit ham fisted I’ve already managed to inadvertently start copying my entire mailbox rather than a specific message … more than once.

Finally, it’s nice that MailTag tags are copied to DT, but is there a way to have DT recognise MailTag projects? I use mail rules to assign both tags and a project to emails and it would be nice if the project was copied (either as a tag, or better custom metadata) so I could then use DT rules to move emails to the right database and group. Alternatively, is there a way to tell DT which mailbox folder an email has come from? That would let me do the sorting in Mail and use knowledge of the mailbox folder from which the email was copied to drive DT.

Thanks

however the Add to DEVONthink action doesn’t appear in the contextual menu (right click on a message), only under the Mailbox and Message menu items. Is that right?

Yes, that’s correct. Our plugin adds to those menus, bot the contextual menu.

Also, the Add to DEVONthink option under both Mailbox and Message menu items have the same keyboard shortcut.

Actually, the one in the Mailbox menu has the Shuft key added.

but is there a way to have DT recognise MailTag projects?

Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket. Drag an email with a project and tags to your desktop, Control-click and compress it, and attach it to the ticket. No promises, but at least we’ll have somehting to examine.

@BLUEFROG A bug report email is on its way, but I don’t think it will help. When you drag and drop an email from Mail, MailTags metadata – both tags and project – is lost. That’s the case whether you drag into Finder or DT. Having always just dragged emails I wanted to file in DT across and then had to refile them, the Add to DEVONthink plug-in looked to me a promising way to avoid duplicating work.

An aside, but MailTags can populate its list of projects from OmniFocus or Things 3 (which I use). Things already has good DT integration, but the tripos of Mail+MailTags, Things and DT would be very powerful.

For completeness, should anyone else browse this topic in the future, when a message is exported from Mail using drag and drop, the .eml file includes the mail headers. MailTags inserts a X-Mailtags header record, which includes the MailTags project and keywords.

X-Mailtags: {“kw”:[“Keyword 1”, "Keyword 2],“pr”:"Project Name"}

Note – my italics for clarity

Jim Neumann from DEVONthink very kindly provided a smart rule that called an Apple script that called the Unix grep command to find X-Mailtags header record and extract the project name in. It then moved the email to a group of that name.

1 Like