Devonthink and share from Drafts

When using Drafts and then share the text (md) using the share button in Drafts and clicking on “Add to DEVONthink 3” the file is sent to the Sorter.
If i write in Textedit, using the share button and “Add to DEVONthink 3” the file is sent to Global Inbox (my preferred way).
Is the behaviour of “Add to DEVONthink 3” in the share-meny accessible for configuration in DEVONthink? Can I set the share action to send items directly to the Global Inbox and skipping the Sorter?

Is the behaviour of “Add to DEVONthink 3” in the share-meny accessible for configuration in DEVONthink?

No you can’t configure it. And sadly, they don’t have an AppleScript library for proper automation between Mac apps.

OK, thank for your Quick respons

I may be missing something, but can’t you just export (cmd-alt-s) them to the Inbox in Finder instead? You’re not wanting to add any metadata (or you’d be using the Sorter), so it has exactly the same effect as direct Sharing (as far as I can tell)>

The export dialogue seems to remember the last location, so after choosing Inbox the first time it’s just cmd-alt-s enter.

et al:
Note these aren’t actually files in Drafts. They appear to just be SQL entries (which Development and I were just discussing today), so there are definite limits from that as well.

Also note, exports seem to only be to plain text from what I see. And again, since these aren’t actually files, they technically aren’t any format at all, even if they exhibit behaviors of a Markdown file.

Thank you all for spending time on this item.
@brookter’s suggestion works fine. However, there are a couple of more specific items I need where neither Sorter nor cmd-alt-s solves right now, so I will have to wait until actions will be available so I can properly format my transfer between Drafts and DEVONthink.
Again thank you all for your suggestions.

That’s what defaults PlainTextIsMarkdown is for… :slight_smile:

That’s what defaults PlainTextIsMarkdown is for… :slight_smile:

This preference is hidden for a reason :wink:

While Drafts and DTTG on iOS is a dream combination due to scriptable actions on the one side and extensive URL-callback support on the other, at the moment Drafts for Mac is no more than a foundation for what’s to come.

Exporting (like sharing) only works file by file, the extension is always txt, and Markdown characters are replaced by spaces instead of getting removed. So every single file also needs a manual renaming. And worse, the tags used in Drafts are neither exported nor shared.

Some Drafts users have asked for saving the notes in an iCloud Drive folder instead of syncing them over iCloud but what Jim wrote above pretty much explains why this isn’t possbile and why Drafts uses its own brew for tags—the notes are simply not files with standard file attributes. And that means that neither Hazel can work some sorting magic on the files of a folder nor DEVONthink’s smart rules can do the same with files sent to its inbox.

At the moment, that is. We have to wait until Drafts for Mac is ready.

1 Like

Agree, and this is what I have on iOS and it is working fine. Eagerly awaiting Actions for Drafts on the Mac.