Devonthink, Devonthink To Go and WebDAV

That is the size of my DT WebDAV sync database in my Synology. I can have other issues, but nothing related to WebDAV sync issues (disconnections, etc).

Agree that once the initial syncs are done it works. Was never the issue as noted above. It is unarguable that the initial setup is broken, nor is it arguable to me that this is a DT issue. 8 other apps deployed against the webdav env with no issue at the time of my original report. 4 have deployed since with one issue that turned out to be user error.

None of the other apps was as dysfunctional (or dysfunctional at all) as DT/DTG.

I respect the loyalty and emotional investment the community has around the app. I wish I had it. I don’t — i have not nor will ever I be a ‘user’. Unfortunately, I just have to support it.

when was devonthink 3 released again? Two years ago?

The public beta of DEVONthink 3 was released April 25, 2019.
The public release was September 12, 2019.

Where did your 2 years of success with dt3 and webdav fit into that timespan?

Obviously, I’ve had internal alphas then betas for much longer than have been available to the public.
Also, the sync engine wasn’t in beta testing. It is the same engine as DEVONthink 2.x, just in continued development.

So when you referred to the public beta and release schedule, you were really referring to that plus 1.5 years of alphas/betas. Got it.

No, I don’t think that was obvious at all.

1.5 years of alphas and betas of DEVONthink 3 not the sync engine. They are separate components and the sync engine was not in alpha or beta during that period. it has been running successfully since before that time.

You have a charmingly un-obvious definition of “running successfully”.

Sorry if I touched a nerve - you brought it up. Maybe in DT4 it will work better…though it seems unlikely given the length of time the issues have been reported on these forums, with little to no support being offered, in favor of simply pulling the ladder up behind you after it worked for you.

I don’t blame you, support costs $$. It hardly immunizes you from scrutiny on the topic.

At any rate the intent was to throw a life line to someone caught in similar straits as I was. I don’t think the bickering is adding anything.

No nerves touched and no bickering being done. Just stating the case. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to add this:

I am using a WebDav location for my DTTG from several iDevices since years.
So far without problems.

The server is and older Debian with Apache.

I did install the server’s certificate, but I am not sure if this is needed or not.

Adding the cert isn’t required for syncing, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

Also, Apache is generally a good choice if you’re rolling your own.