Devonthink eating lots of CPU

All of a sudden DT seems to be eating a fair amount of CPU. If I type into my daily notes it beachballs a bit every few words and then catches up and then beachballs after a few words, etc. Not sure what is going on. I am not seeing this behavior in other apps on the system (for example typing this post or editing my WORD file all day).

Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Did you add some large files recently that are now being indexed and/or OCR’d in the background?

Did you add or edit any smart rules that might be using the CPU?

Did you inadvertently check the “Create Spotlight Index” box for a database?

Do you have any indexed folders in which a large amount of data might have been added and thus may now be undergoing indexing?

1 Like

What versions of DT and macOS are you using?

Stephen

1 Like

Could you please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select DEVONthink 3in the list of processes, choose the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance! A screenshot would be useful too.

The only thing on your list is that I did index a new directory on Sunday. It wasn’t very large, though. I don’t know if the problem started before or after that.

macos 11.6, DT 3.8

Most certainly. Thanks. (running out right now, will send it in a couple of hours).

1 Like

Turns out that it was a buried DT window with an bookmark opened to a very busy webpage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re on a laptop, an occasional three-finger swipe downwards on the trackpad may surprise you :wink:

This was on my iMac. But I do pull up Expose/Mission Control (whatever they call it these days) and look at what windows are really there. :slight_smile:

1 Like