Devonthink Hack for MacSword

I use a program called macsword.com for Bible study. It has many modules to download for commentaries, Bible translations, dictionaries, lexicons, etc.

While using it recently, I discovered that if I pasted a copy of the text from Macsword into Devonthink, the hyperlinks to the verse in MacSword were still alive in Devon. For example, if I pasted the text of Ephesians 1:13 into Devonthink, there would be hyperlink verse number preceding the text. If I clicked on that hyperlink, MacSword would launch and that verse would pop open.

It didn’t take long to realize that I could type in a link in Devonthink, make it active, and it would always jump to MacSword. This is a remarkable feature. To do so, you type sword://KJV/Ephesians20%1:13, and then from the Devonthink menu, click “Make link.”

The next step is to hopefully have an applescript that will take the text “Ephesians 1:13” or “KJV Ephesians 1:13” and automatically turn it into a Macsword link. I’ve asked the techies at Devon-technologies for help, and maybe they’ll have time.

Jeffrey
jeffreyclong.com