DEVONthink indexed folders behaviour

I spent some time to understand how indexed folders work in DEVONthink. Reading the descriptions I assumed that DEVONthink would store some kind of reference, metadata and maybe search index in its database, but the file itself would reside on the local disk, and would not go to database or sync to other devices.

However, when I created a folder on my desktop and added it as an indexed folder, and added markdown files and a pdf in it, after the sync I could see those files in DEVONthink To Go on iPad as well. I didn’t expect this to happen. Does this mean that they were also added to the database and/or sync store? Does it happen always? I need to understand how it works so I can set up the notes sync system. Note that I think I understand quite well how the databases and sync storages work in general, I have multiple databases and synchronisation set up and I’m not asking help about the basic principles, just about this specific behaviour with indexed files. The primary issue I need to understand is, do the indexed files go also to the sync store, and if they do, does it happen automatically, sometimes, no?

Also, I wonder what would happen, or does it work at all, if I add a markdown notes directory in a Dropbox folder to DEVONthink as an indexed folder both on iMac and Macbook. It seems the notes folder gets synced both through DEVONthink sync store and Dropbox, Dropbox often syncing faster. I can guess this could lead to issues, right?

There are two things to note here:

1. Indexed content will Sync to a Sync location unless Synchronize contents of indexed items is unchecked in the Info for the Sync location in DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync. By default you will Sync the contents of indexed items.
  2. DEVONthink To Go does NOT support indexed items. If you choose that option, the contents will (logically) not be available nor will you be able to download the contents on demand.