DEVONthink Pro 2.10.1 on macOS 11.1 crashing when creating or opening new database

Dear friends,

my DEVONthink Pro 2.10.1 on macOS 11.1 (MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017)) is crashing when creating a new database, regardless of how I call it. It still does create that new database, but crashes upon trying to open it as well. It does run well with an already existing and previously used database. I can provide crash reports if of use. Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

For starters you should install the latest version of DEVONthink Pro. Which you can find here:

Legacy Versions

Presumably you have taken an active decision not to move to DT3? In addition to updating to the lastest 2. version, crashes are best dealt with by opening a support ticket (that is assuming DT still support the 2.x version).

1 Like

Hola suavito, hello Blanc,

thanks for your replies! Updating—why hadn’t I done this already?—did the trick. Thanks!

And yes, I decided to stick with 2 because it works and does all I need, and I saw no reason to spend more money. I will if I have to, but other than that I prefer carriages over automobiles and … you get the picture.

So, again, thanks both of you!

1 Like

Cool, I’m happy for you that it was that easy :+1:t3:

(The good thing about carriages is that they are drawn by horses. And one day a bloke comes by screaming something along the lines of “my kingdom for a horse”, and hey presto, you got yourself a kingdom :horse: :crown:)

Bear in mind, the 2.x line is long out of development. We strongly suggest upgrading to DEVONthink 3, especially since you’ve moved to a more modern operating system.

Blanc, you are so right. How else would one become king anyhow? Excellent personal egg icon by the way.

Bluefrog—hello—ok, thanks for pointing this out. You suggest so for security reasons I suppose? I would have hoped that you might keep it secure for a while longer. Is there a way to isolate the application from the internet so that security wouldn’t be a concern anymore? Pandemia, culture worker, not too much money around at the moment …

Thanks

1 Like

It’s not a matter of security. It’s just that 2.x is no longer in development and 3 is far superior in essentially every way.

Also, DEVONthink isn’t particularly susceptible to internet related hijinks, unless you’re thinking of something specific b

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I didn’t think of anything specific, no. I’ll have another look and think about upgrading once more.