Devonthink Pro 3 - Icloud (CloudKit) sync does not work at all (Macbook, Mac-Mini, iPhone)

I use a Macbook Pro 16 from 2019 and MacOS Ventura 13.6

• I have installed Devonthink 3 Pro
  • I have setup 4 Databases on this Mac (inlcuding Inbox) and want to sync them
  • I created a iCloud (CloudKit) syncstore and uploaded the databases (all over ca. 50 Gb)

I use a mac-Mini 2022 - Ventura 13.6

• I have setup Devonthink 3 Pro
    → I cant find any syncable Database on this device, using the same password as I setup on the Macbook

I use a Iphone 11 pro

• I have setup Devonthink to go 3
    → I cant find any syncable Database on this device, using the same password as I setup on the Macbook.

The first time i tried this I used 2 Databases and the syncing on the mac mini worked, but on the Iphone I did not see all databases.
I have then created another database to keep each one smaller, reuploaded the data.
From then on, I did not find anymore any database I can sync on the mac mini or the Iphone.

I have deleted the Database on Icloud. I have deleted the syncstore on the Macbook
I have setup another syncstore and uploaded the databases again
→ I still cant find any syncable Databases within the MacMini or the iPhone

I have deleted the syncstore again and I have deleted the Icloud space used by devonthink, I have deleted the cache and I have reinstalled Devonthink on the Mac-Mini and on the iphone. Then I created another syncstore and uploaded only 2 Databases for syncing
→ still I dont find any database on my MacMini nor on the Iphone

I am a little frustrated, as I have invested some hours already in understanding and getting around with Devonthink, bought all the software and now syncing does not work at all.

I have the 2tb iCloud abonnement and I dont want to pay for Dropbox also.

How could I proceed to get the databases online and syncable with iCloud?

Thank you very much for your support.

As has been mentioned numerous times on these forums, iCloud syncing via Apple’s servers – especially CloudKit – has not been reliable for many people in the past year.

Why are you trying to use CloudKit? Regarding syncing, the first question you need to ask yourself is, “Do I need a remote sync option?”. Consider these questions…

• Do you need to sync between machines – especially desktop Macs – in different geographic locations?
  • Do you have a colleague, assistant, significant other, etc. that needs frequent updates to synced data?
  • Are you using a shallow sync, i.e., Download Files: On demand in DEVONthink To Go?

If the answer is no to any of these questions, a local sync on your network is suggested.
There is a forum post on syncing: Sync Types Explained. This is a good place to start.
There is also one specifically about Bonjour: Bonjour Simplified

1 Like

So I can answer the first a the last question with yes. A remote synclocation would really add benefit to my workflow.

Can I use my synology disk station a remote sync location?

Did you also setup iCloud as a sync location on this device?

Whatever the problem is with iCloud and third party software, I see it being written about more and more often.
Some recent samples:
Tidbits:cloudy-with-a-chance-of-insanity-unsticking-icloud-drive

macworld: iCloud-free-tier-storage-drive-mail-sync

Here’s (faint) hoping it results in some attention from the powers that be at Apple.

1 Like

Well I have chosen it within devonthink… do I have to set another setting to use iCloud as remote sync location?

Forget Apple’s services for the moment. Pick another method. I recommend Bonjour and Dropbox (if you really need internet-based sync service). You can run both. Bonjour faster and more reliable, but of course must be done while both devices on same network. Normally that not an issue as any changes while you are “out and about” get synced on return.

You have to set up the sync locations on each device
and identify the databases you want sync’d to the device

Can I use my synology disk station a remote sync location?

Synology NAS’ support WebDAV services so yes, this is possible.
One of our intrepid regulars wrote up a good post on a procedure specific to this…

On your main device (I think your MacBook Pro?), there will be a black dot next to any pending databases that are not currently synced (the black dot disappears once the databases are synced). As you make amends during the day you will notice the black dot come and go as changes as pushed to the sync.

So, assuming you have no black dots next to your databases, and your MacBook Pro does believe the sync store is up to date:

Have you actually set the sync location on each of your other devices? Once you’ve entered the encryption key, you have to choose the location (CloudKit), then switch it on (toggle the option), and then select the databases to sync (toggle the option for each database). You will need to do this on each device you want to connect to the MacBook Pro.

1 Like

P.S. the actual sync for each device may also take ages, so just be aware of that, and as others have said it may also be interrupted if CloudKit decides to be useless for a while.

I set up a new iPad yesterday and it took over 40 minutes to sync my iPad, during which time DTTG has to be on screen (it can’t sync in the background).

It could if i*OS would let it. Which it doesn’t to save battery…

I selected the same syncstore on all devices and would like to toggle the databases. In the first go, it worked on the Mac-Mini but not the iPhone. After reuploading and splitting the data on more databases, i did not get any syncable database anymore.

Thank you all for your comments!
Reading your opinions, I decided to change my strategy.
I have successfully setup a sync store on my Synology disk station. The syncing is actually really fast and I am happy with this solution.
Thanks again

2 Likes

I used to use CloudKit and it was extremely unreliable. Then it stopped working altogether. I switched to Dropbox and haven’t had issues since.

My use case for DEVONThink:

• knowledge base that should be accessible anywhere
  • note taking via markdown and zettel
  • document management
  • reading list, articles, etc.

Basically everything gets captured in DT. If it’s actionable it goes to OF.

1 Like

Apart from a situation where CloudKit syncing would stall roughly on a daily time scale and required a DT restart, about 2 years ago (I briefly reverted to CloudSync Legacy and things worked fine), CloudKit work perfectly well for me (6 DBs, about 20 GB of data). This is obviously only a single anecdote. Having said that, I was under the impression that most (all?) complaints were about erratic behaviour of the sync, not complete failure to even establish sync.

For pre-drilling purposes, I maintain a DB I dubbed miniDB which has only about 5 MB of stuff in it. When I set up a new sync method (I went Dropbox → CloudMe → iCloud Legacy → CloudKit), I first sync only this DB across all devices. If that works, fine, larger DBs can be expected to scale. Incidentally, miniDB also contains a 1 MB movie that runs for 1 hour, and links to a few very long Youtube videos (campfire…), so once miniDB is up and running, I can sync the big DBs to DTTG without interruption. The running movie keeps DT active, and prevents auto-sleep of iDevices (you could temporarily change the settings for sleep, but in the past, the mail sync with my university’s Exchange server disabled the “infinite” option).

As for alternatives to iCloud, Dropbox is only good if you already have a subscription. Nothing below 2TB which is not cheap (unless you can live with 2 GB and max of 3 devices). For that reason, I used a CloudMe subscription for a while, which has smaller tiers for less money, and worked reliably.

With a small test DB, one could try Dropbox sync for free, and if that works, it would show that there is not something wrong with the sync setup. If the same steps don’t work with CloudKit, there would be credible evidence that the latter is at fault. From the descriptions above, I’m not entirely sure what’s going wrong.

When I set up a new sync method (I went Dropbox → CloudMe → iCloud Legacy → CloudKit), I first sync only this DB across all devices.

If you’re suggesting actively syncing the same database via multiple cloud services, that is not recommended.

If that works, fine, larger DBs can be expected to scale.

I would definitely not make this assumption. In fact, pushing larger databases, i.e., the initial sync, is prone to more potential for failure since the volume of data being transmitted is larger.

As for alternatives to iCloud, Dropbox is only good if you already have a subscription

This obviously depends on the situation and needs of the individual. Many databases in the universe are smaller than 1 or 2GB.

If you’re suggesting actively syncing the same database via multiple cloud services, that is not recommended.

Arrows were meant as sequential migrations between 2016 and now. CloudKit will hopefully carry me from here on outward.

I guess in the end, my main message was really obscured in my post: Namely that from the thread so far, I could not tell whether the syncing via CloudKit by the OP was not properly set up, or if it was and there was truly a CloudKit failure.

Correction, I missed this:

I selected the same syncstore on all devices and would like to toggle the databases. In the first go, it worked on the Mac-Mini but not the iPhone.

Fingers crossed for you. :smiley: