DEVONthink Pro and OCR

The documentation for DEVONthink Pro (version 2.7.2, page 33), states that “DEVONthink Pro automatically makes scanned documents searchable by using optical character recognition (OCR).” Am I crazy, or is this feature only available in DEVONthink Pro Office? I see an option for OCR in the scanned image’s Properties, but it does not seem to be available in DTP.

Thanks,
Dave

Built-in OCR capability is only available in DEVONthink Pro Office.

Thank you for the clarification.

Given that it is almost a year since dvrooman raised this query don’t you think the documentation should be changed.

I relied on the documentation being accurate when I purchased Devonthink Pro. I already have Abbyy finereader so I did not need to go to Pro Office to convert existing pdf files. But I do routinely scan incoming material and having the facility built into Devonthink Pro, as indicated by the documentation, was one of the reasons I purchased it. I made the crucial error of not testing this during the trial period. But the documentation is very clear. Even now on the help menu from the scanner page it says:

"DEVONthink Pro comes with built-in support for Image Capture compliant scanners.

DEVONthink Pro automatically makes scanned documents searchable by using optical character recognition (OCR). OCR adds an invisible text layer to the scanned file that is computer-readable and searchable–a layer that is recognized by DEVONthink Pro’s AI engine. For best results we recommend scanning at 150 dpi in color and with 100 percent quality."

The sentence “DEVONthink Pro automatically makes scanned documents searchable by using optical character recognition (OCR).” is simply untrue.