DEVONthink Server stops responding

Yup. To be clear, if I get rid of the global CSS style sheet in my preferences, then it always works just fine and never stops responding. There’s clearly something about having that sheet specified that breaks things. And so far it doesn’t seem to matter which style sheet I use: I have the same problem with multiple style sheets.

Okay… I’ve loaded your stylesheet, running the server, and am using the web sharing in Firefox.

Are you actively using the server when it stops working or you coe back to it later and it’snor responding?

I’m actively using the server when it stops working. I’ll be typing in some note, and one of two things happens. I either get a “loading” prompt show up and stay there, which is essentially a red flag for things-ain’t-working-anymore, or I don’t know it stopped working until I switch to a different note and nothing populates beyond the loading prompt.

Okay, so I checked this morning and the UI is still somewhat working but no files are loading. Is that what you’re seeing?

Sounds like it, yes.

Thanks. I removed your stylesheet and will retest over the course of the day.

You’re welcome. I’m happy to hear you were able to reproduce the problem. Let me know if you need anything else from me.

Will do!

Any progress? I’m out of town again and my server has stopped responding yet again. This is a real problem. I’m going to have to remember to ditch that style sheet when I get back.

Another update: today, for the first time in I don’t know how long, the server stopped responding without any global CSS style template defined. I was able to double check that the computer was on and responding, the network was fine, and my instance of DEVONthink seemed fine and clearly “thought” the server was running, yet I had to stop and restart the server to get it working again. I don’t think this is necessarily a CSS style sheet issue.

Please choose Help > Report Bug while pressing the Alt modifier key and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks!

You mean when it stops responding? Or just now that I’ve fixed it again?

The current logs, the file ~/Library/Logs/DevonThink 3 WebServer.log and the time of the incident would be great - thanks!

Done. Just sent the whole thing off to you. Let me know if there’s anything else I can do to help find/fix the issue. Cheers!

1 Like

Another data point. Just now it has stopped responding again but only to externally routed attempts to access it. At this moment, I can connect to my server on my local network by using the machine’s local network name, but any traffic coming in from my machines outside this house over the Internet is seemingly being ignored. I’ve double checked the routing, and nothing has changed with my network; i.e., the port in question is still mapped properly to the destination machine, but the destination machine has stopped responding to any traffic outside the local network segment.

Is it just me, or does this problem grow only more weird?!

As the server is actually still responsive in local networks, it’s most likely not an issue of the server (as it doesn’t filter/ignore certain traffic on its own). But so far it’s still unclear whether it’s an issue of Bonjour, macOS or your network. Is the server running all the time or does it sleep sometimes?

1 Like

JFTR: Did you try the usual network diagnostics like ping, traceroute and telnet from the external network? Port mapping is not the only possible source of trouble here. And, in case you do not have a static IP address: Is your router’s IP address still correctly mapped to the DynDNS name you’re using?

I agree with @cgrunenberg that a server which is locally accessible did not stop responding. And since it is apparently running, the problem must be somewhere between the server and the external internet. Which cries for systematic error elimination.

I’ve disabled sleep so I can connect to it over RDP when I’m away. I did some testing yesterday when that happened, and I could still connect to it from an external machine that way, so it wasn’t asleep. I also simply walked downstairs and checked and found it up and running.

I did, in fact, try some usual diagnostics. I found I could still ping the machine both locally and externally, I could connect via RDP both locally and externally, and I could even SSH locally and externally. In every other respect, the machine was still up and running and visible. The only thing that fixed the problem was closing and re-opening DEVONthink. I completely understand your thinking that it sure seems like some network, OS, or other issue, but closing and re-opening DEVONthink immediately solves the issue.

My next suggestion would be to run Wireshark on the port DT is listening on and see if any external traffic is arriving there. Of course when the connection to the outside is broken.