DEVONthink Server stops responding

The next release will extend the logging again.

LOL! What a pain-in-the-*** user am I. In the plus column, you’ll have beautiful logging by the time this bug is found and squished.

1 Like

Well, with the extended logging the next time the logs should at least indicate whether any connections are opened & active when this happens. If there shouldn’t be any, then it’s a Bonjour or networking issue outside of DEVONthink’s control.

Considering your gracious attitude and assistance on this, we certainly would not consider you any kind of PITA :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, that’s very kind. I’ve been a developer myself for decades, and I could tell you so many horror stories of intermittent bugs that eluded pursuit far too often. Heck, I’ll happily sign an NDA and debug your bloody code for you if it gets the problem fixed.

Thanks :slight_smile: Debugging isn’t the problem as long as the reason and that it’s definitely an issue of our code are still unknown. But you could sign an NDA for beta testing of course.

Happy to do that if it helps.

Ok, I can tell you for a fact I was using the DT3 server on Saturday, July 16, but it stopped responding at some point before I tried to use it today, Sunday, July 17. I’m attaching the logs again.
Archive.zip (105.4 KB)

Thanks! The logs just confirm your observations, we’ll send you the NDA (as the logs of the next release should be more useful or at least more chatty)

Another case of server-stops-responding, only this time it’s with the latest beta software. I know the web server was working yesterday because I was using it then, I think around noon for the last time. When I went to use it this morning around 09:10 hrs. it wasn’t responding. I’m attaching the logs, which I reset (i.e., deleted) some days ago when I upgraded to the beta.
Archive.zip (20.8 KB)

Thanks for the logs! This time there’s definitely a minor hint in the logs, seems that some kind of invalid/incomplete request caused the issue:

2022-07-24 22:52:29.190 DEVONthink 3[40675:17118389] SERVER: (null): Version (null) not supported
2022-07-24 22:52:29.190 DEVONthink 3[40675:17118389] SERVER: Response status code: 505

Afterwards the server didn’t respond anymore although it still should. Did you by chance check whether the server responds still in Safari on the server’s machine?

1 Like

Very interesting! I’m sorry to say I did not remember to check via Safari on the local machine. I will add that to my list of things and try to get it right next time.

4 Likes

Uploading another set of logs. I was out of town last week, and the server stayed up longer than usual. I was able to use it a lot until it stopped responding. I first noticed it was down at 10:56 hrs. PDT on 8/11. Let me know if I can provide anything else.
Archive.zip (127.0 KB)

Thanks for the logs! Did you check Safari on the same machine, was the server still responsive?

Sorry, I forgot to mention this yesterday, but the server did not respond, even when using Safari on the local machine. And for the record, I could access other web sites just fine, get email, etc., so the machine was still clearly connected to the network. The DEVONthink web server was not responding to any attempt to connect, external or local.

According to the logs there were 2 stalled connections, probably breaking new connections. The next release will use a timeout to get rid of them and hopefully this will finally fix the issue.

1 Like

Aha! That’s good news indeed! Let me know if you’d like me to beta test anything prior to release. I hope that finally fixes the issue too!

Please have a look at the next beta (build 4), see beta board. Thanks!

Got it. Installed and running. I haven’t had an outage since the previous one, so it feels like we’re tightening the noose on those bugs :slight_smile:

The current beta is actually still build 3, build 4 will include the fix.