DEVONThink slow to start up

I have a database about 1 GB in size so far. Every since I imported all my documents, DT started to boot slowly the first time I ran it. I’d get the beachball and wait ten or twenty seconds. If I quit and ran it again, it would pop right up, but if I put my laptop to sleep and tried later, it would be slow to start up again. I tried trashing prefs, but the problem came back. I turned off automatic check for updates, but that didn’t help. Any ideas?

I’m not sure that I understand your question. Do you mean that when you launch DEVONthink, it takes about 10 or 20 seconds to complete the launch? If so, that’s probably a reasonable time. DT is inspecting and initializing the database during launch. It’s doing a lot more work than would, for example, a word processing application at launch time. You will hear a good deal of disk activity going on. On my TiBook 500 MHz with a larger database, it takes 30 to 40 seconds or so to complete the launch. If I’ve got a number of other applications open and am low on free memory, launch times could be longer.

If you quit and then relaunch immediately, the second launch will be faster, because much of the data and code that would have to be pulled up from the hard drive is still resident in memory. However, if you continue to do work using other applications, more and more of the contents of memory will be replaced by those activities, so that a DT launch later on will require accessing the hard drive more.