DEVONthink slowing down system

My system too (10.4.3 with 30gb free hard drive and 512mb RAM) has slowed to a crawl with Devonthink Pro 1.02. Nearly unuseable now.

I got a new harddisk for my iBook, 80GB, 5400 rpm, 16 MB Cache. Things are going better now, a liitle bit. But I still have this beachball when starting and finishing DT Pro. It’s really boring.

When I shut down my computer I have to close DT first, then shut down the iBook. When I forget to do so, and forget to have a look on the finishing process, I get an error message and the computer is staying sleepless all night.

For my iBook G4, 1,2 GHZ I have 768 MB RAM, I thought this should be sufficient for DT Pro, isn’t it?

I had 768MB of RAM on my PowerBook and that didn’t seem to be enough. Life got much better once I bumped myself up over a 1GB. I still get slowdowns periodically, but much less so.

Another think (I don’t know wether this is related to slowdown problems):

After capturing in DTPro a large amount (about 2000) of html files, the size of my database jumped from 1 Gb to 12.2 GB(!). Each html file itself was small (less than 6 kb). I thought the new size of the database should be 1000 Mb+ (2000*6 Kb)=1012Mb (or at least, less than 1.5 GB). Checking the DB, backup an optimize, quit and reopen DTPro, Log out and log in, etc… did not change anything: still 12.2 GB. I changed the preferences of DTPro, and set the maximum of backups to 1 (the default value is 3), backup and optimize, quit and relaunch DYPro, and my DB is now smaller than 1 GB. But 1GB for the working copy + 3 backups= 4 GB, still far from 12.2GB. (?)

If somebody had the same experience, I would be interested in trying to understand what happened.

Thanks,

Alb

Hi,

I have got a db only with E-Mails (thousands in many groups all in all 800MB) and it takes DTpro about 15 minutes to open that db.
On PB 12 1Ghz 768 MB RAM OS X 10.3.9

I have tried to repair that database and stopped the program, when after 20 minutes it still was repairing the db. I will let the Powerbook work on it over night.

By the way: I don’t find the stuff, which has been attached to the E-Mails, jpgs, docs, pdfs and such. In the db there are only plain text E-Mails.
So why weren’t they imported and how slow will DTpro become, when a database consists heavy files and not only text-E-Mails?

Best, Matze

The scripts can’t import attachments but we will provide a more sophisticated, not script-based solution this year. In addition, you’re probably running out of memory - I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the database. But as soon as virtual memory is necessary, everything will be MUCH slower. So the only solution is to either add more RAM or to split the database (V2 will reduce the memory usage).