DevonThink stops Time Machine

Hello! I’m having some trouble with Time Machine - been working like a dream since November, but today refuses to back up, with the very helpful “An error occured during copying”.

After some digital detective work in the Console:

Jan 31 20:57:03 Shanghai /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[493]: MDBackupIndexFile returned -1134 for: /Applications/DEVONthink Pro.app/Contents/Info.plist, /Volumes/Atlantis/Backups.backupdb/Shanghai/2008-01-31-175457.inProgress/F80653B5-261A-4F18-8D91-F7610D2087CE/Shanghai/Applications/DEVONthink Pro.app/Contents/Info.plist
Jan 31 20:57:03 Shanghai /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[493]: Aborting backup because MDBackupIndexFile failed
Jan 31 20:57:03 Shanghai /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[493]: Canceling backup.
Jan 31 20:57:03 Shanghai /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[493]: Copied 37 files (6 KB) from volume Shanghai.
Jan 31 20:57:03 Shanghai /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[493]: Copy stage failed with error:11
Jan 31 20:57:04 Shanghai /System/Library/CoreServices/backupd[493]: Backup failed with error: 11

Any idea what is going on?

I have now closed DevonThink and the backup looks like it is running OK. But I’d like to have DevonThink open all the time :slight_smile:

Not caused by DEVONthink. I’ve been running Time Machine with no problems.

But have you checked your database file, by running Tools > Verify & Repair?

If Time Machine is trying to backup files while DEVONthink is updating/moving/modifying some of them, then this might fail.

Yeah, does Time Machine bomb on a regular basis or was this a one time occurrence? I have a DT database of one sort or another, open 24 hours a day and have never had any problems with time machine or my databases.

Doing what Bill suggests is a good idea, you may also want to check the permissions. The “error 11” TimeMachine problem is pretty common and not exclusive to DT, if you search “error 11” and Leopard in google, or the Apple Discussion forums, you will find hundreds of messages complaining about similar issues.

discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp … ID=6363463

In theory this will be fixed in 10.5.2 (Leopard, not DT Pro 8)).

Cheers,

-EPS-