DEVONthink to Go 2.7.2 “handling of indexed items”

Release notes for 2.7.2: “…makes handling of indexed items consistent to DEVONthink 3 on the Mac”

What does that mean?

E.g. creating a new item inside an indexed group creates an indexed item like in DEVONthink 3, not an internal one like in DEVONthink 2.

Criss, I know you’ve had your hands full with macOS, but have you all seen anything yet in iOS 13 to make you think it might be possible to support indexing directly in DEVONthink to Go?

I thought the same thing, Greg. Maybe it means that if I create document in DEVONthink to Go 2.7.2+ then when I sync back to the desktop that that file becomes indexed if its group is an indexed group? So the actual indexing occurs on the desktop and 2.7.2+ is flagging a file as indexable?

That’s more or less how it works, DEVONthink To Go can’t handle the indexing on its own.

1 Like

I went iOS/iPadOS only about 4 months ago when my MBP started giving me problems, and I expect I’m going to stick with it. I’m just not missing enough to justify spending over $3k for the rumored 16” MBP. I’m limping along with my databases with indexed files that were synced when I was using a Mac, but I’m hoping that indexing may be possible in the next major edition of DEVONthink to Go.

1 Like

Of course iOS has a file system just like the Mac does. But it does not expose it. What you see in the Files app is an abstraction of a file system with File Provider Extensions regulating the access. DEVONthink To Go exposes its own data structures like a file system. So when we talk about indexing, where would you put these files so that DEVONthink To Go could pick them up as “indexed”?

1 Like

Eric, I think that’s a question for DEVONtech to answer. For the casual reader, a plain English reading of the release notes can be inferred to imply, I think, that DEVONthink to Go supports indexing. In fact DEVONthink to Go does not.

We made the release notes short because we know people don’t like lengthy explanations. Maybe we made them too short.

But the question remains for those who want to index files: Where do you want them indexed from on iOS? It’s a fundamental question about how people use this fundamentally different operating system.

In my case, I would hope they could be indexed from iCloud Drive. I have the 2TB plan and that’s where I have all my files that I indexed into all my databases when using DEVONthink for macOS.

SO I guess support for 10…iOS Stops with 2.7.1 huh

No more updates…

iCloud Drive, OneDrive and Dropbox. (I don’t use Box, but maybe some would want that.)

I do not see any value in indexing files internal to other File Provider apps on iOS/iPadOS.

That is correct.

Thank you. I don’t (yet) know if something like indexing folders on drives accessible via file providers is possible or if the mechanism is restricted to accessing single files like for opening and editing (which is what I think).

The default iOS model for dealing with data is keeping them in containers for each app and having file providers for exchanging data if needed.

Yes, we’ve always known that. Not likely to change, is it? So, it was sort of confusing why the question was asked: “for those who want to index files: Where do you want them indexed from on iOS”.

I was only curious what people would do with it :slightly_smiling_face: And, no, I don’t think that this will change but only the Gods of the Cupertino Disc (might) know.