DEVONthink To Go - price of new version?

My question really has little to do with the topic, but I’m curious why anyone would buy DEVONthink To Go years ago and never purchased the macOS version?

BTW, the current shipping 2.x version of DEVONthink To Go is still a free download for you. There has never been an upgrade fee for the base app since it first shipped 10 years ago. There has been additions, as mentioned above, that require an IAP for access to those Pro features. Don’t know if you have already paid for that, but if so then you already have everything that’s available in the mobile app today.

My question really has little to do with the topic, but I’m curious why anyone would buy DEVONthink To Go years ago and never purchased the macOS version?

Good question. I read an article on MacStories and decided to try it out. Didn’t work for me at the time. Trying to make it work now as Evernote has become unusable.

BTW, the current shipping 2.x version of DEVONthink To Go is still a free download for you. There has never been an upgrade fee for the base app since it first shipped 10 years ago.

Yup, I don’t mind paying for upgrades.

There has been additions, as mentioned above, that require an IAP for access to those Pro features. Don’t know if you have already paid for that, but if so then you already have everything that’s available in the mobile app today.

I’m actually holding out on that IAP right now because I need to understand what happens to those features when 3.0 comes out. Since they’re not saying anything, it’s not clear if 3.0 replaces 2.0, or if 3.0 is a new app and 2.0 fizzles out over time, or something else. Edit: the IAP also falls in those advanced features I mentioned above, I haven’t needed them so far.

1 Like

We will make a statement when the time has come. But please understand that we would like not to get pushed into making any premature statement that we have to revise or refine later. We tend to publish things when they’re ready.

12 Likes

Awesome…I came here to research a topic for DTTG before purchasing and appreciate stumbling across this thread. If this goes subscription I’m going to bail…as we avoid subscriptions like Corona2019.

Totally agree.

sorry, no, that‘s almost half the price of e. g. an Evernote premium subscription, available on all major platforms. Much too less features on DT2Go yet, as others already stated (no smart group sync, no reminders sync, poor tag filter/cloud, challenging text editing). I‘ve purchased both, on Mac and iPad, OK, but 25 € / $ per year for DT2Go no. But this is DT‘s decision, not mine.

I think that if feature parity (or close to it) between Mac and IOS is important, DT isn’t the right choice. I don’t think there’s any serious prospect of DTTG developing that far in the foreseeable future (not that I have any inside knowledge).

Whether $25/year is good value for the limited DTTG feature set is another question. I wouldn’t be very happy about it, but then I think about the fact that DT for Mac 2 lasted about 9 years without any upgrade fees and DTTG2 is only $23 with the add-ons, and I wonder whether the current pricing is sustainable. I don’t like subscriptions at all for various reasons, but sometimes I just have to accept them.

As to Evernote - I was a premium user for many years until they started jakcing up the price and screwing around with numbers of devices. So while you might see their costs as better value because of the greater diversity of platforms, I just see a bad faith supplier.

3 Likes

Am old fashion person. Don’t spend vast amount of time with comment and forum. All for developers making honest living running businesses. Supply and demand. First provide quality products with frequent releases. Your “ Quality Trumps Quantity “ business principle fails with To Go -> mediocre quality with non existing quantity releases. To Go looks more tired and older than me. Does To Go deserve $25 a year subscription?

Thank you all very much for your open thoughts on the subject. So far we have not disclosed any information about the nature of possible changes to the DEVONthink To Go pricing. We understand that someone from the beta group has intentionally shared information from internal discussions as rumors to a public forum. This person has already involuntarily left the beta test program.

There are many reasons for us for disclosing some information only when we deem it ready for disclosure. And while we always listen to you, our customers — even though some here might see this differently — business decisions like license models and pricing are nothing we discuss in public or make available for polls.

We also know that some here are dissatisfied with our mobile companion app. Please understand that non-constructively criticizing us, like writing off DEVONthink To Go as a hopeless case, is a great way to express your feelings about the subject but is in no way helpful to make this a great community for those who are still with us here.

We are looking forward to your constructive feedback and your thoughts on any new version of any of our apps and even their pricing or licensing when they are available to you.

Thank you for reading.

25 Likes

Even $25/year is way too high. As DTTG is today, zero. It would need to be every bit as good as notepads like Apple Notes, Notability and the like. Based on what I have seen so far, even an improved version of DTTG will not come close to the polish of the other apps. Looking for a one time payment, not jumping into the sea of subscriptions.

Note: DEVONthink To Go is not a notepad app.

6 Likes

Couldn’t agree more (it is not a note app, it is not a spreadsheet app, nor a pdf mark up app ~ and yet DevonTechnologies seems to keep spreading out (notes, spreadsheets, pdf annotations) when they need to tend to business at home.)
Not a note taking app, yet of the most prominent features of the app. Add New Item > Text = Note.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to here.

PS: You can’t define the application by a single function. This would be akin to calling a car “a delivery vehicle” because you transport your groceries in it.

1 Like

Well, as you know we don’t force anyone to buy our products. Especially not the worthless ones.

9 Likes

Most of the users use it as the interface to the DevonThink databases (where comes the real value of the app)

As more and more of our lives move to mobile devices would be nice to have some kind of features parity between mobile and desktop but I don’t expect that because of iOS limitations. Some users would like to use DTTG as first choice note taking/pdf reader app for the data stored in the databases, and from there comes their frustration and confusion.

We know that. And we’re moving towards mobile ourselves more and more. When the groundwork is done (speak: the next larger release) we’ll turn our attention towards the built-in editors. We might never reach the level of dedicated editors but we want DEVONthink To Go to be a reasonably good note-taking app.

12 Likes

For me personally DTTG as it is today have a great value and it is priced accordingly to its features.

The other part of the discussion is about subscription model which always will arouse emotions for every product and usually produce kind of backlash against the app. Setting apart my personal preference as a user (don’t like subscriptions) I hope and wish for developers that their decisions about pricing model be good for them and for the app (whatever the decision will be)

This is more a comment for other users - it’s much more about Apple pushing for subscriptions in general than developers being greedy or not respecting its users (which is not the case here). The dev of IA writer have interesting remarks about that
https://ia.net/topics/subscription-or-no-subscription

1 Like

I always saw DTTG as a complement to DT to access data, and to capture data.

I’d rather wish for DTTG becoming really good and fast at these functions, not to become a full DT on the iPhone. Simple EML capture, for example. Better searching and especially sorting. And yes, a decent markdown editor (with, you know, new bullet point item after hitting enter while entering a list, etc.). Faster syncing (i.e. allow for order of databases for syncing to be defined, sync inboxes first, …)

Typical use case where DTTG still fails for me, unfortunately: Incoming phone call while on the go: “I have a question about this invoice from last quarter” … getting to this result fast on my phone while on this call (even if it hadn’t been synced previously), would be a tremendous help for me.

3 Likes

An expression from an old movie…do not remember the name of the movie.
Essentially a family lost its farm (livelihoods, lifestyle etc) because the the sons were out chasing other things before (instead of) tending to the family business. One chasing women, another chasing a lifestyle and such and the entire family went into ruin.

Tending to the family business means sticking with the making the app experience great before branching out into other endeavors.

Totally agree w/the vehicle analogy. Focus on making the driving experience fantastic, solid vehicle and less focus on some of the whistles and bells such as blind-side flashers or fancy license plate led lighting, window tinting.

I am seeking a companion app that allows me to manage/store data of all kinds (mostly screen grabs) on the home computer. DTTG fits in the realm of possibilities. Terms of iOS limitations, I am not seeing how that would be getting in the way in the situation here. There are ways to accomplish the same goals w/o hitting the limitations of iOS.

So it is about storing and managing data. Much of that data also happens to be in the form of notes. It would be a crying shame to use one app to manage data, another app to manage note data. The information needs to be together regardless if it is a screen shot or scribbled note or iOS note… often these things are of the same subject matter and belong together in one place.

One of the self-imposed hard fast rules is not to store the data online. (dropbox is a step to testing sync but real data will not be handled through dropbox, unless that data is meta only…mabye not even then). So long term goal would be synching w/webdav.