DevonThink to Go—Sync Problem

Hello to all! I am attempting to synchronise a rather large DevonThink database (15GB) between my MacbookPro and my iPad. I would prefer to synchronise only the metadata to the iPad, and I purchased the premium features on DevonThink to Go in order to be able to download files ‘on demand’. I spent several days syncing the DevonThink database to Dropbox, then attempted to sync DevonThink to Go with the DevonThink folder on Dropbox. Unfortunately, despite choosing the download ‘on demand’ option, DevonThink to Go seems to be downloading copies of everything—in fact, I can’t complete a sync because my iPad doesn’t have enough space to hold 15GB of content. Am I perhaps doing something wrong, or is this a known bug with a fix/workaround? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer!

1 Like

The amount of data that has to be downloaded depends on the items/contents of the database(s), e.g. in case of lots of small/medium sized files (up to 4 MB) the same amount of data has to be downloaded and therefore the import might temporarily require more disk space.

One possibility is to split the database and to synchronize one after another, another one is to synchronize the database first via Bonjour as this requires less disk space due to the direct communication.

Thanks very much for the suggestions! I’ll try these.

I am trying to sync a large database to my iPad from my MacBook Pro over my home network. The iPad has over 400Gb free and the database is 15Gb. I have requested all document to be downloaded. The iPad keeps losing connection with the following message on the MacBook Pro - “Connection to the server timed out” next to the entry “mobile.ipadpro.local”. I have set both machines not to sleep or go onto screensaver.

I am using DTTG 2.77 on the iPad and both DTP Office 2.11.3 and 3.0.4 on the two MBP’s I have tried.

Any ideas as what else I might try?

Did the Mac or the iPad sleep during the sync? A dark screen doesn’t matter but the sync times out if one of the devices should sleep.

No, I turned the sleep mode off to prevent that.

Is there some faster way to sync such a large database that might help?

Bonjour is usually the fastest way to sync databases. Which of the devices is the server? It’s recommended to enable incoming connections only on the Mac and to connect the iPad to the Mac. Not vice versa and not in both directions.