DEVONthink Web Clipping: PDF behaviour?

This is an odd question, I think, but what exactly happens when I clip a PDF—paginated—with the DEVONthink Web Clipper?

It seems to just download the PDF to the selected group. Is that accurate?

I’m sometimes tempted to download the PDF then upload it to DEVONthink, which is more tenuous, but if “clipping” a PDF does anything to the PDF itself (like, I don’t know, “printing” the document into DEVONthink) it seems better to manually put the actual PDF into my database.

I think my confusion comes from the fact that the same functionality can work on both PDFs open in the browser while also PDF-ifying anything else in the browser.

Clipping a PDF being viewed in a browser will just download the PDF to DEVONthink.

Great, thanks, @BLUEFROG.

I get in my own way far too often. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Occam’s Razor, my friend. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

But one should not forget Ockham’s shaving cream either: Clipping or printing a web page to DEVONthink—at least in Safari—does not only download the web page as a PDF to DEVONthink but also properly enters its URL into its info sheet in DEVONthink.

Which you don’t get when you first save the PDF to, say, your download folder and later add it to DEVONthink manually. And which is indispensable when you have to quote from the PDF—and therefore is sorely missed in DTTG, at least by me.

4 Likes

I am trying to clip PDFs from Safari but I get often only black documents instead of the full pdf of the document. Happened to me with scientific journals and bank statements from BoA and US Bank. Any idea what that could be?

Thanks,
Marco

Did you try Print/Save as PDF to DEVONthink? For some web pages this gives better results. Wether in combination with Reader View or not you will have to find out for every page.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will give it a try.