Devonthink with external screen

Connecting my MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 to the 5K LG screen offered by Apple after a while the fans run high. Checking the activities, WindowServer runs at 100% and Devonthink 3 in the 70s. Disconnecting the external screen, the figures keep high until I close Devonthink. Starting new, Devonthink only consumes below 10% or even zero (synching active).
The MacBook is only roaring this way if I do video editing or such.

FWIW I’m running DTP 3.6.2 on an MBP 13" with an LG 5K (Apple) screen and have not experienced any issues over the last couple of years. Still running Catalina and the 13" doesn’t have an additional graphics card of course.

1 Like

Thanks for your input.
DTP 3.6.2
macOS 11.2.1 Big Sur
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Are you editing videos while DEVONthink is open?

no … just wanted to say that my MacBook normally only has a loud fan noise on video editing
in addition the problem is irreproducible in the meantime. maybe I did a restart in between - not quite sure …
if no one has an idea, I will again report when the problem occurs again.
thanks

any ideas? the problem persists on using DTP on my MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 with ext display LG 27 inches - on quitting DTP the fan goes back to sleep after about 3 minutes

Checking the activities, WindowServer runs at 100% and Devonthink 3 in the 70s

You said it wasn’t reproducible.
What are you doing in DEVONthink when it happens?

You said it wasn’t reproducible.

sometimes it does not occur, don’t know why. But it happens most of the time running DTP

What are you doing in DEVONthink when it happens?

nothing with DTP. just using it to open some PDFs, working with them only to do some work; DTP running in the background. Maybe DTP is syncing sometimes, but it won’t ever happen with the ext display disconnected.
Thanks for your efforts to solve this.

You’re welcome!

When the fans are running high, do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor .
Open it, go to the Energy view, and check what DEVONthink is doing.

69%
within devsonthink choosing window - activity - “no activity”
disconnecting the 2nd screen - stays high at about 60%
quitting dev

onthink the devonthonk icon stays there as a “shadow”
starting new without 2nd screen in the beginning 40%, then soon nearly 0%
connecting 2nd screen - stays low (at least in the beginning)