DEVONthinkPro upgrade to DEVONthink3

Hi.
I own DEVONthink Pro2 (not Office) and am considering the upgrade to DEVONthink3 (can’t afford to go to the PRO version). I’ve been looking at the upgrade pages, and can’t figure out what, if anything, I would be gaining or losing by upgrading? Some of the new features look great and I’m seriously considering the upgrade, just want to be clear about things.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Apologies if this should be obvious, or has been covered already in this forum (I couldn’t find it)

If you look at the Editions page, you see all the features not in the Standard edition. Everything else on the product page is included.

I’d guess that if you don’t use Office now, then you’ll be OK with Standard

I owned DT Pro 2 and upgraded to DT3 – the features are vey compatible. Before you upgrade, you can try out the beta (it works with the same database file as DT2) and confirm it has the features you want.

And bearing in mind…
DEVONthink 3 is in beta testing, not an “early access program”. It is meant for testing, finding and reporting bugs. It should not be used in mission-critical or production environments.

When beta testing, it’s always wise to use copies of data or test data. I personally also advocate running DEVONthink 3 on a separate macOS User account to keep things isolated. Your data, your choice - but I always err on the side of caution with peoples’ data.

1 Like

Thanks very much for the replies…appreciate the help. I think I’d got myself pretty confused between the editions (i.e. features I wouldn’t have), what’s listed on the product page, and trying to figure out what the new features were that I would have.
I’m trying the beta now…have to remind myself that it’s the Pro version, so I won’t get everything I’m seeing.
Thanks again

have to remind myself that it’s the Pro version, so I won’t get everything I’m seeing

And as we’ve said so often over the years…

Remember that the price of our software is not an expense. (An expense is recurring, like gas and triple shots of morning espresso!) It is an investment in your education / business / and maybe even your life (finances, genealogy, health records, hobbies or business ideas, etc., etc.)

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I could understand that however the default version for download is version 3 and I am even having trouble finding version 2 on the site.

There is a link to the legacy versions on the Downloads page.

1 Like

It seems that it would be helpful to those trying to decide which version to upgrade to if the DT3 beta included a switch to disable the Pro and Server features so we could see if there is really anything we are missing if upgrading to the non-pro version…

1 Like

There is a blue star in front of the menu item text for all functions that are specific to the Pro/Server editions.

1 Like

Not quite. Other things are missing from the standard version which may not be obvious during a trial since they affect navigation and UI more than any specific function (Concordance, custom metadata). Personally, I’m not sure what I would be missing without concordance (i.e. does that mean no word clouds?).

All Concordance inspectors, see Tools > Inspectors > Concordance, are limited to the Pro/Server editions. These menu items should also have a blue star to mark them as features of higher editions.

Underscoring the comments… :slight_smile:

I intend to upgrade to DT Pro once it is out of beta. I’m currently using DTPO.

Question: Will the same upgrade pricing still be effect once V3 is released?

/Jim

The pricing is final.