DevonThinkServer Unavailable: No error message on client

Hello,
we’re trying to figure out a problem that occurs for multiple people trying to access Devon Think Server in a network (some are in the same network, others are off-site). In a browser we enter the server’s URL. It starts the connection and simply stalls. There is no error message in the client.

When we login into the computer running the server all of us have normal access to the DevonThink Server. Are incoming internet connections blocked after a certain time? We checked the Webserver.log and don’t see any blocked requests. There’s a long 18 hour period without any activity.

Sorry, I’m probably missing important technical information in this problem description. I also couldn’t find related posts. Hope still this is enough still for somebody to give us even an idea of what to do. My assumption is it’s a Mac OS setting? (but we checked and there was nothing obvious to change in network settings). Or maybe the user account on the computer running DevonThink Server needs to be continuously logged in?

I’ll stop here, otherwise, I’ll never stop thinking about this :).

Thanks in advance,
Francis

Which browser & platform do you use? Did you check that the firewall or router do not block the port(s) used by DEVONthink (see Preferences > Server)?

I’m not at the computer now, so I can’t check the firewall. We already sorted out the problem with the router. To clarify, the access always works in the network and from other networks when the login credentials are refreshed.

We are using Safari. What does ‘platform’ mean here?

The used operating system.

E.g., Safari on macOS Monterey or Microsoft Edge on Windows 10, etc.

Client: Safari 15.2 on a MacBook Pro M1 with MacOS 12.1
Server: Safari 15.2 on a MacBook Pro M1 with MacOS 12.1

Thanks!

Or maybe the user account on the computer running DevonThink Server needs to be continuously logged in?

Yes, that would be the case. The user needs to be logged in and DEVONthink open with the broadcasted database

Thanks! This is helpful information, but leads to a problem, if I understand things correctly. The computer is in a secure location. The user will login periodically, but not regularly. Do you have any suggestions how to keep access open to the broadcasted database at all times? Again, We want to give external workshop participants access to materials using the DevonThink Server to prepare and after a workshop continue learning (and come back for more).

Using the web sharing UIG only possible if the user is logged in with DEVONthink running.