Differentiation in smartrules

I don’t know. The script does not crash DT here (although it also doesn’t write anything to the log window).
DT’s integration with JS is … a bit shaky. The jury’s still out to decide if that’s a problem of DT or something else. JavaScript in normal scripts works, mostly (although it is fairly easy to crash there with a three-liner, too). If you absolutely have to use a smart rule, than AppleScript is a safer bet.
@pete31: You’re right of course that smart rules don’t process the current selection. @Timetrinus’ code here makes sure that they can run the script in script editor: The bottom part is a self-executing function that uses the current selection to call performsmartrule. While in the environment of a smart rule, the records parameter would contain the records defined by the rule’s conditions, in the script editor one can pass the current selection as records parameter.

1 Like

hm, some new details:
DT don’t crashes but the script takes long time ± 10 mins and in this time I cannot use the application.
In console.log I get 2021-01-19 12:13:35.658 DEVONthink 3[2389:91535] ERROR: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=256 “Die Datei „MailConduitVersion.plist“ konnte nicht geöffnet werden.” UserInfo={NSURL=https://devontech-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/applicationsupport/post-install/mail/MailConduitVersion.plist}

When I now start the smartrule again, it comes directly back but nothing happens. When I end and start DT again and start the smartrule manually again I get the same situation: Waiting for 10 mins, no result but the error I in the Console.log.

Interestingly, this is totally unrelated to the script. Obviously. What does your smart rule look like?

Oh, and did you install DT3’s plugin for Apple Mail? And/or update it? The error message seems very clearly to point that way.

Yes, the DT3’s plugin for Apple Mail is installed. There are no updates available.

1 Like

really strange: after now - for whatever reason - the sync of the DT3 database with iCloud has run (that should actually run always and automatically) As a result, my script in the smartrule now also works perfectly. I do not get it…

Were any activities shown in the Activity window or pane while the smart rule didn’t work?

no. nothing there. :frowning:

The next release will support smart rule scripts using JavaScript:

3 Likes

And also JavaScript for reminders:

2 Likes

:+1: :clap: :champagne: :fireworks:

Thanks a bunch!

Outstanding! Thank you