Differing files identified as duplicates

Could not agree more! The dictionary even point it out, duplicate item are NOT “similar”.

du·pli·cate
adjective | ˈd(j)upləkət | [attributive]
1 exactly like something else, especially through having been copied: a duplicate license is issued to replace a valid license which has been lost.
2 technical having two corresponding or identical parts: a duplicate application form.

noun | ˈd(j)upləkət |
1 one of two or more identical things: books may be disposed of if they are duplicates.
• a copy of an original: locksmiths can make duplicates of most keys.
2 short for duplicate bridge.
3 archaic a pawnbroker’s ticket.

verb | ˈd(j)upləˌkeɪt | [with object]
make or be an exact copy of: they have not been able to duplicate his successes | a unique scent, impossible to duplicate or forget.
• make or supply copies of (a document): information sheets had to be typed and duplicated | (as adjective duplicating) : a duplicating machine.
• multiply by two; double: the normal amount of DNA has been duplicated thousands of times.
• do (something) again unnecessarily

sim·i·lar | ˈsɪm(ə)lər |
adjective
resembling without being identical: a soft cheese similar to Brie | northern India and similar areas.
• Geometry (of geometric figures) having the same shape, with the same angles and proportions, though not necessarily of the same size.
noun
1 mainly archaic a person or thing similar to another: he was one of those whose similar you never meet.
2 (usually similars) a substance that produces effects resembling the symptoms of particular diseases (the basis of homeopathic treatment): the principle of treatment by similars.

The flexibility of language allows for nuanced meaning in terms. For example, I can say, “I love that woman!” and “Man, I love steak!” and it’s understood I am not romantically interested in the steak but I am in the woman.

We have to choose words that are commonly known, and try not inventing our own terms or lean on contrived terms like “Kinda Similar”.

Also, in Preferences > General, you can select the Stricter recognition of duplicates to use the file type and size to detect duplicates.

1 Like

I love your simile, in any non romantic way. :wink:

Hahaha!
/blush
:wink: