Direct import of downloadable files from websites?

Devonthink Pro: how to handle links on websites which point to a file? If you click such links within the DT browser, nothing happens and you have to open the link with your browser in order to retrieve the file. Would it be possible to directly import this file into a group without ever leaving DT?

The short answer is no. This might change in version 2, but I’m not sure about that.

I have a plug-in that allows me to view pdfs online in a browser, including DT Pro. It would be very useful to be able to directly import the document straight into DT, rather than save it somewhere then import it, so I’m right with you on this one.

Rollo

This plugin sounds very helpful indeed. Could you tell me where I can get it?

Yes, you can download it from:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/9542

Rollo

Thank you, this does indeed make a great difference, but still it would be good if such files could then be directly imported into the Database and even into a particular group. Just in general this appears, at first glance, to be the major weakness so far in DT’s architecture - insuddicient capacity to channel imported information directly to the necessary groups. This makes me hesitant to buy a license so far.

I have to contradict Bill here slightly. If you do a Control-Click on the link, you can add it to the Download Manager. In there if you Control-Click on the entry for the link you’ve just added, you can check if it needs to be added to the database (this is a sticky setting).

Now when you download the file, it will be added to the default group that you’ve set in the application preferences’ “Import” pane (click “New Notes”). If you also check “Select (and display) new notes automatically)” you will end up with a window displaying the contents of the file you’ve just downloaded (if it is a supported file format). Moreover it ended up in the designated group!

I think I just showed Bill a trick he didn’t know before! :wink:

I agree, but still this does not give yout the flexibility to import the file upon download into different groups - it just provides you with a convenient container for incoming files, after which you will still have to distribute them manually over the different groups, if you still remember what groups you intended the files to belong to.