display of images embedded in .RTF

Hi,

I realize it is not possible to resize images embedded in a .RTF file (due to the way .RTFD files are defined). The suggested workaround is to use another application, such as Preview, to resize the images before putting them into .RTF.

However, this does not work very well due to the way Devonthink displays images in RTF files. The image is always stretched, up to a certain point (which is around 150%), until the width of the image matches the width of the window. So even if you shrink the images before importing, they will still look stretched and very ugly.

This behavior is different to the way TextEdit displays images. TextEdit leaves the image at the native size, regardless of how wide the window is.

It would be fantastic if the upper limit of the stretching in DT could be changed as a setting. If one set this as 100% then the images would look fantastic in DT. Infact, it will be better than TextEdit since DT also shrinks the image to match the width of the window so that nothing is cut-off.

Thanks,
Kent.

You might want to check the DPI settings of the image. Leopard’s text engine uses this information by default and wrong settings could cause this.

Hi cgrunenberg,

I don’t really understand your answer. I am mainly pasting in screenshots from Grab into my RTFs. The images thus have a resolution of 72DPI. When I paste it into DT, the screenshots are stretched, up to 150% larger (depending on the width of my DT window) than what it looked like before. This does not occur in textedit…

I have taken a screenshot of what I mean. It can be viewed here:

http://drop.io/images_dt_textedit/interactive

Thanks,
Kent Leung.

Please send the image to cgrunenberg - at -devon.technologies.com and I’ll check this over here. Thanks!

I have fixed it! I am so sorry! I feel like a complete idiot. Please ignore my last email. It turns out I had the zoom at 150% in the DT RTF viewer. I had the zoom up to increase the viewing size of the text when in fact I should have increased the font size for this.

You weren’t doing anything wrong.

I usually use 12 point fonts because I do a lot of writing in the database and will then transfer material to a more competent word processor for final polishing.

It’s more comfortable, though, to kick up the magnification a bit for easy reading.