Does DTTG search finder comments?

Nope.

FWiW, searching for comments in DTTG works fine here, just tested it with a test document and a unique comment added to then document. As a FYI, this was all done on an IPad, so not a true ‘Finder’ (macOS) Finder comment.

Actually, typing also searches contents. It just returns names first.

Also, pressing the Search button removes an assumed wildcard at the end of the last search term, treating it as a complete word.

@mmoran : When was the comment added ?

1 Like

Then I would try ? > Help > Appendix > Utility URL Commands > reindex-metadata

It takes some time for reindexing to complete.

It was added as a finder comment on my Mac and the sync’d using iCloud (CloudKit). I can see the document and the finder comment on both my iPhone and iPad but it doesn’t find the document when I type in the finder comment in the search bar and hit the search key.

does it find any other token (content) in that file? maybe a missing index could be the problem.

@Airestocky - it’s an OCR’d PDF and it will find any text in the PDF and I can find it by title.

Have you tried reindexing as I suggested?

1 Like

I haven’t tried re-indexing as the database is fairly large, but I will now. I don’t have good confidence that will help. Database is sync’d among 2 mac’s, 2 iPads and an iPhone. The Macs find it no problem, all the iOS devices do not, so that would be all 3 DTTG’s are not indexed properly? I’ll give it a try.

The index is independent, not shared.

Ok tried the re-index thing. I’m assuming it finished (I didn’t get any feedback on the screen when it finished). I just waited an hour or so - still not finding the entry.

Completely close DTTG (upwards swipe from springboard) and reopen it, please. It may be the case that reindexing will not take place until you have done that (weasel statement from memory somewhere in the back of my brain)…

Just to be clear it did give an indication at the start that it was re-indexing, just there was not progress bar or “completed” status.

Just try it anyway, pretty pleeeease :slight_smile:

(I have just synced my test database to my iPad to play with this; I used exactly the same Finder Comment as you did - and it is found approx. 0.5 to 1 s after I press search. I have tried using the whole comment, parts of the comment, capitals, it works.)

I assume from your screenshots that you are using DTTG 3.3?

Closed and still no joy. But now I see a countdown of indexing items on the “home page” it’s at 758,000 so I’ll let you know in a while :slight_smile:

I thought you might :wink:

Thumbs pressed, but this should be the solution. If it is, please don’t ask why - I’ve already got a headache :see_no_evil:

Glad to tell you no headache - it worked. The strange thing is why all three of my iOS and iPad devices the index failed but the two Macs were ok???

You’re welcome.

No, that’s the bit with the headache - I can’t answer that question. Two different pieces of software with two different mechanisms - but why one failed and the other did not, well I don’t know. I’ll ask the lizard though.

as I mentioned above, I can reproduce the ‚missing index‘ issue easily when one or more of my sync stores are offline.