Does importing mail still require full disk access?

• Mails and attachments are fully downloaded in macOS Catalina Mail
  • Mail plugin is installed and activated in Mail preferences

Do I still need to grand full disk access when creating a mail archive? It’s not mentioned in the manual I think.

This shouldn’t be necessary anymore.

But giving DEVONthink Full Disk Access is still the best idea. :slight_smile:

I have granted my MacBook full disk access and I still get errors dragging and dropping to DT. It used to work for 3.0 for a while but now I can’t frustrated

Define errors.
What is reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?

So this is happening with a specific email, multiple emails, all emails?

I have tried multiple and single imports, neither works

And I have given it full access

Is DEVONthink 3 allowed to automate Apple Mail? This is required for drag & drop.

This might be the problem but it is whited out so that I can’t change it?

The Automation settings can be changed in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Automation.

But giving DEVONthink Full Disk Access is still the best idea. :slight_smile:

@BLUEFROG This is somewhat confusing to me.

The problem is Apple thinks Devonthink shouldn’t be allowed full access. If necessary, I can of course allow access, but I’d rather not lower any default macOS security unless for a specific understandable reason.

@cgrunenberg

Is DEVONthink 3 allowed to automate Apple Mail? This is required for drag & drop.

Nope. Devonthink is only allowed to automate Finder.

The Automation settings can be changed in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Automation.

Nope, at least I can’t. Unlocking the dialog only allows me to uncheck Finder, but I can’t add Mail automation to Devonthink in that dialog.

Thanks Bluefrog - not sure what to do next as Apple Mail imports are a big deal

The problem is Apple thinks Devonthink shouldn’t be allowed full access.

Apple doesn’t think anything should have Full Disk Access… or Automation… or Accessibility, etc. You either trust us, or you follow Apple’s increasingly tight (and infringing IMHO) controls on your Apple devices.

Nope. Devonthink is only allowed to automate Finder.
Nope, at least I can’t. Unlocking the dialog only allows me to uncheck Finder, but I can’t add Mail automation to Devonthink in that dialog.

Choose a file in DEVONthink and slect Data > Send by Email (assuming Mail is your default email client… which it should be :stuck_out_tongue: ).
macOS should rise up and cry out, “Danger!!! Danger!!! Some application is trying to do things it has done for years but now we’re going to act like it’s dangerous!!!”… sigh :roll_eyes:

You should always allow the Automation requests DEVONthink makes.
This is especially important as you can’t go back and okay it later - at least not in a simple or even consistent way.