Double click and open with default...

This creates a text file on your desktop so we can see what DEVONthink gets as input. Run it on the same selection that threw the error

-- Open selected text's link(s) in default app

property theDelay : 0.5

try
	delay theDelay
	tell application "System Events" to tell (first process whose frontmost is true) to keystroke "c" using {command down}
	set theGrepResults to do shell script "osascript -e 'the clipboard as «class RTF »' | perl -ne 'print chr foreach unpack(\"C*\",pack(\"H*\",substr($_,11,-3)))' | egrep -o 'x-devonthink-item[^\"]*'" -- https://superuser.com/a/1409995/
on error
	display alert "No text selected or no link(s) found" buttons {"Ok"} default button 1 message "" as critical
	return
end try

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set theRefURLs to paragraphs of theGrepResults

repeat with thisRefURL in theRefURLs
			my write_to_file(thisRefURL & linefeed, (POSIX path of (path to desktop) & "Script Debugging.txt") as string, true)
		end repeat

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

on write_to_file(this_data, target_file, append_data) -- (string, file path as string, boolean)
	try
		set the target_file to the target_file as text
		set the open_target_file to ¬
			open for access POSIX file target_file with write permission
		if append_data is false then ¬
			set eof of the open_target_file to 0
		write this_data as «class utf8» to the open_target_file starting at eof
		close access the open_target_file
		return true
	on error
		try
			close access POSIX file target_file
		end try
		return false
	end try
end write_to_file

I think I understand the problem. In my links, the label and the target are both things like:
x-devonthink-item://D410B352-231E-47E8-82BB-73DECA3E545F , and that doesn’t seem to work.
I know that that’s the problem because if I change the label in the above link to be just some random text then it seems to work. So I either need to rewrite the code that generates the links so it gives them some safer label… or perhaps there’s a way to tell the script to look at the target, not the label.

Yes, the trick seems to be that the link’s label can’t look like a link.

Please post the content of the text file from the above script

Here is the output:

x-devonthink-item://D410B352-231E-47E8-82BB-73DECA3E545F
x-devonthink-item://D410B352-231E-47E8-82BB-73DECA3E545F}}\

Here is the script. Added an option to have the first link as front window instead of the last.

-- Open selected text's link(s) in default app

property theDelay : 0.5
property reverseOrder : true

try
	delay theDelay
	tell application "System Events" to tell (first process whose frontmost is true) to keystroke "c" using {command down}
	set theGrepResults to do shell script "osascript -e 'the clipboard as «class RTF »' | perl -ne 'print chr foreach unpack(\"C*\",pack(\"H*\",substr($_,11,-3)))' | egrep -o 'x-devonthink-item[^\"]*'" -- https://superuser.com/a/1409995/
on error
	display alert "No text selected or no link(s) found" buttons {"Ok"} default button 1 message "" as critical
	return
end try

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set theRefURLs to paragraphs of theGrepResults

if reverseOrder = true then
			set theRefURLs_reverse to {}
				set beginning of theRefURLs_reverse to thisRefURL
			end repeat
			set theRefURLs to theRefURLs_reverse
		end if

if length of (thisRefURL as string) = 56 then
				try
					set thisUUID to (characters 21 thru -1 in thisRefURL) as string
					set thisRecord to get record with uuid thisUUID
					set thisPath to path of thisRecord
					tell application "Finder" to open file (POSIX file thisPath as alias)
				end try
			end if
		end repeat

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
	end try
end tell

Perfect! Thank you thank you for your willingness to spend time on this!! And having the script search a whole selection for links is the perfect example of a user not realizing what they need until it’s shown to them. Great design.

Carl

btw: one of my students is doing a project to predict the places most at risk for future covid outbreaks. So your efforts will help him move forward a little more efficiently. Every bit helps.

1 Like