Download individual docs from sync store

Hi all,

I have a question about sync on DTTG. I am currently on version 3.6.1 and use iCloud CloudKit to sync - between a Mac (latest version of DT3) an iPhone and iPad, all running the latest versions of the relevant OSs.

The issue I have in DTTG (on both iPhone and iPad) is that I am unable to download synced documents from my sync store sourced originally from my Mac instance of DT3. I can see in DTTG the thumbnail image for the relevant document/file and can access its metadata. But when I click on download link below the thumbnail, a roundel just spins for ~5 seconds and then the thumbnail reappears. Repeated clicks on the download link have the same result. The documents/files in question are mainly PDFs and are generally <1MB in size - but this issue affects all files irrespective of size or type. On my iPhone, I have the sync setting of “Keep 100 items” and on my iPad I have “Keep all” but this does not make any difference.

Hopefully, I have overlooked something and some kind person here can point it out - let me know if you need any more information. Otherwise, I think I may have to discontinue using CloudKit and investigate iCloud (Legacy) or Dropbox to see if the behaviour with either of these is any better.

Many thanks in advance.

I suspect, but can’t think of a way to prove it, that it’s Apple CloudKit letting you down right now. There are other reports here and on other forums of Apple CloudKit not behaving as expected.

Before going to Dropbox, perhaps first step is to setup and use Bonjour. Requires that you use it on your local network, but it’s fast and reliable. Instructions to setup in the outstanding DEVONthink Manual and supplemented at Bonjour Simplified

I use only Bonjour. I’ve used Dropbox successfully in the past and can recommend it.

1 Like

I use CloudKit across 3 devices and haven’t had any issues recently. Do you want to check on your Mac that your databases are synced to the cloud (they have a little black dot next to them if content hasn’t been pushed to the cloud yet), do a hard close of DTTG on both devices and then maybe try turning the iPad and iPhone off and on again? Traditional tech advice but it sometimes helps :joy:

It does sound like it’s CloudKit being naughty if both mobile devices are unable to download content, but maybe that will get you up and running again.

(Edited to add, I’m guessing you already checked that you do have good signal!)

2 Likes

I do not know what Apple’s Calendar uses, but I’m waiting since yesterday for one simple event entered on my iPhone to appear on the MacbookPro and on the iPad. Vice versa, another event entered on the iPad is absent from the iPhone and the MBP.

I’m afraid, but if Apple cannot even sync their own stuff with their own technology, why should any other product work more reliably with it? And calendar entries are dead simple, there’s even an open sync protocol for them. Which I’m certain that Apple does not use because that would be too simple. And it would “simply work”, too.

OTOH, DT sync with a local WebDAV server on a NAS does simply work. Not a single problem ever.

3 Likes

Have you done a File > Verify & Repair on the database in DEVONthink to ensure the database is healthy?

Thank you all for you suggestions.

@rmschne - I may try Bonjour.

@MsLogica - yes, on my Mac all databases appear to be synced (no black dots). And yes, good internet signal on all devices.

@BLUEFROG - I have now verified the relevant database and the log shows “Successfully verified” in the Info column.

A new (perhaps unrelated?) issue has arisen as I write this - I am seeing in the log on both Mac and iPad a “Request failed with http status code 500” message with “CKErrroDomain 15” in the Info column. From reading around the forums here, I think this is a CloudKit issue.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

@BLUEFROG - I have now verified the relevant database and the log shows “Successfully verified” in the Info column.

Excellent! We suggest running a V & R on your databases, weekly or bi-weekly at a minimum. More often, as you see fit.

A new (perhaps unrelated?) issue has arisen as I write this - I am seeing in the log on both Mac and iPad a “Request failed with http status code 500” message with “CKErrroDomain 15” in the Info column. From reading around the forums here, I think this is a CloudKit issue.

See…

Thank you Jim. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should explore other sync options!

You’re welcome. And we are big advocates of using a Bonjour sync with your devices on a local network if a remote option is not required.

1 Like

I noticed in the MPU forum that a few people have reported issues with CloudKit this week, so it looks like your sync issue is part of a wider problem.

1 Like

Indeed it is. :roll_eyes: