DT 1.7.3a sometimes very slow...

Hi!

… to be more precise, it is very slow under the following conditions:

I am surfing the web with safari and encounter an interesting article, which I’d like to store in DT. All the time DT runs in the BG with its main window closed. I select it and add it to the database via Services=>New RTF-Memo. This works fine. After a short moment the DT-icon in the dock starts bouncing. To get rid of this, I click it, thus bringing forward the DT main window. And this process of switching to DT is particulary slow. It takes about 20-30 seconds (!!!) until the DT window finally appears. I think this is way too long.

Is there anything I can do about this or is it kind of a bug in DT?

My system:
iMac G4 800 Mhz, 512 MB RAM, OS 10.3.2

Thanks in advance for your response.

Bye
Christian

Try "Backup & Optimize" or delete the preferences (com.devon-technologies.think.plist) and launch the application afterwards.

Anyway, Version 1.7.4 will improve the performance in some areas (especially of the user interface) as it’s definitely not a database related issue (as DT bounces AFTER adding the content to the database).

By the way - v1.7.6 will be much faster (deleting up to 20 times, adding/importing contents 2-4 times). In addition, memory usage and database size will decrease (although the number of database files will increase  ;D).

Hi!

I get the impression that the problem might not be DT, but the memory management of OS X. The problem I described above only occurs when DT has been in the BG without open window for a long time. When I close the window without leaving the app and then open a DT window again immediately, the process runs much faster.

Best regards
C. Meermann