DT 3.9.3 crashing on new window or database

I upgraded to Sonoma, and while understanding the caveats, was hoping that the new release would work.

DT3 launches fine, and the Log window shows that the Inbox has been verified. But no database opens, and as soon as I try to open a “New Window” or any dtBase2 database, it crashes.

Trying to open a database directly from Finder has the same result.

Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, it’s a crash caused by a change Apple made that conflicts with a font resource of their own :roll_eyes:

Trash the prefs and it should stop crashing. However, do not change the toolbar to Text Only or Icon and Text. Leave it as Icon Only.

1. Quit DEVONthink.
  2. In the Finder, press Command-Shift-G and paste: ~/Library/Preferences
  3. Copy the com.devon-technologies.think3.plist to your Desktop.
  4. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and paste: defaults delete com.devon-technologies.think3 and press Return.
  5. Type: exit , press Return and quit Terminal.
  6. Relaunch DEVONthink.
2 Likes

Thanks so much—you all are amazing!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: and yes, please curb your enthusiasm when Apple releases their next operating system. Wait for the first or second revision :wink:

3 Likes

The next maintenance release will work around this toolbar issue.

Bravo! I too was having this problem. I was sending all the crash logs to DEVON technologies. It was frustrating because I use DT nearly every day as my Paperless system. I’ve been a happy customer since at least 2003 (per my account page).

Thank you for your continued excellent work on an excellent product.

Andy Cerier
@gtdandy
Software Engineering Process Architect, retired.

Welcome and thanks for the kind words and long-term support :heart: :slight_smile:

Wow—I didn’t realize I was such a latecomer to the party! I only discovered—and purchased—DT in 2014…

Agreed about the excellent product and support. The people behind DEVONthink clearly care about and love what they do—something that far too many companies don’t enjoy.

4 Likes

I feel like a newbie - constant user of Devonthink since 2016, here.

Customer support beyond this excellent forum is rarely needed. In all cases support has been quick, precise, and with enthusiasm.

“In all cases,” who am I fooling. Devonthink works so well support tickets are rarely needed. I should have said something like “in both cases.”

4 Likes