DT and ReMarkable working together?

Well, actually, I think I have to add to what I said. Actually, I think the way reMarkable handles PDFs and their annotations is fantastic. It’s just that it only delivers text via email and you can only use the annotations within reMarkable (and tag them in there etc.).

Another point is also that most of what I have to read is not PDF and if I read PDFs I print them out, for I almost never read anything on the screen.

Also, from what I read, I think they might open up to other apps soon. Their last announcement sounded that way.

For me, the biggest advantage of reMarkable is that it only allows writing and is not connected at all to the great attention churning machine called the Internet. I write better there.

Doesn’t it support standard PDF annotation? Really? Then, you put a PDF in the device, annotate it and when you get back the PDF it is not annotated? Weird.

Well, you have Boox eInk devices. The integrated reader supports standard PDF annotation, but sometimes “forgot” to save the annotations and when you get the PDF, latest ones aren’t in the PDF. But as it is an Android device, you can use XODO or any other PDF app. They more or less work as expected.

I think it may offer the annotations as an additional layer with the handwriting in it.

just tried with my onyx boox (note air 2): both the highlighting as well as the scribbling on the pdf (with the stylus coming with the device) get saved and transferred - I can seen them both in DT with the highlighting showing up in the document / annotations inspector…hope that helps…

I just tried this to see how it actually works. So to edit stuff from Dropbox you have to use the Dropbox integration and copy it into your local files first. You can then upload the document back to Dropbox at any time

Annotations can be done in blue, black or red, but on the device itself everything is just black because it’s black & white eink. They are added as extra layers ontop of the PDF, but Dropbox was able to recognize my handwriting so I can copy & paste stuff

If you want to automate that, you could add some folder actions to the Dropbox folder to automatically import PDFs that show up into DEVONthink

1 Like