DT as image database?

Yes, it should be able to handle a database that size though this would also depend on available machine resources.

Why not try Appleā€™s own photo app? Pros use Lightroom, Bridge, or Photo Mechanic for cataloging and browsing. DT could be useful for images collected from the web as they relate to a particular topic. However, in my own use the past few days, Iā€™m finding that a simple feature like fitting a photo into the main document window varies too widely. Iā€™ve played with the preferences related to image scaling but itā€™s still an issue. DT even varies how it displays an image in a formatted note vs rich text note or image file. I thought this would be a smooth feature in DT, to display a photo at original size and within the width or height of a document/note/image file. Sometimes itā€™s fine, sometimes itā€™s not. Plus thereā€™s no way to open an image in a new window and arrow through a bunch.

4 Likes

Give NeoFinder a shot, I think it is perfect for your needs.

1 Like

Apps I have used:

Photo Mechanic Plus - mentioned above, excellent but probably overkill

Photo Supreme - very good, but maybe still more than you need

Mylio - very good, free for up to 20K images, available for iDevices as well as Mac

Photos - free, on the Mac already, very decent organisation and editing

1 Like

Just as a side note: Photos imprisons all your pictures in its own data structure. One can export them, but I find that more hassle than necessary. Also, they are changing this data structure ever so often. While it was still kind of accessible in the past, itā€™s very much a closed shop nowadays.

Good points, worth noting.

@tja

Have look at XnView MP, its free and it has nice features, very likely more you need. It works with your existing folder structure. The MP in name of the program stands for multi platform.

1 Like

Apple Photos?!?

That cannot be used at all, it can only handle images in the Mediathek, or how that is called. Itā€™s as useless as the iOS Photos App.

Going to check out NeoFinder, many thanks!

I will check out Photo Supreme and Mylio, many thanks!

Photo Mechanic Plus has some missing points and that does not seem to change. Itā€™s out for now.

BTW, support of GraphicConverter is fantastic!!!

Useless? No, it isnā€™t.

Useful for the OP? Perhaps not, but thatā€™s for them to decide.

I use Photos on Mac, iPhone and iPad and it works very well. I donā€™t do major image editing in Photos because it has limitations - but itā€™s excellent for collecting and sharing those images I want to.

2 Likes

I cannot reach my images with those Apps!
So it is totally useless.

Whoever would want to store images in a mediathek on a device?
My images are on cloud storage!

Are you talking about the fact that Photos uses a database for images? Thatā€™s an issue for some people, but doesnā€™t make the app useless.

2 Likes

The Apple Photos Apps cannot access any images at all!
They need to have those images in their own library.
Thatā€™s the definition of ā€œunusableā€ for me ā€¦

I have in total about 3 TB of images on my PC, which I am slowly migrating to OneDrive, so that I can access them from all devices.

But thatā€™s not possible with the Photos Apps!
I could not even import them, as the Mac storage would be to small, not even talking about the iPhone / iPad.

I have no idea why anybody would ever use such an App.
And it would be so simple for Apple to fix this: Just allow access to any and all storage available. This would be a useful App them.

People use iCloud with Photos which (in may case) gives me 2TB of cloud storage.

But if you prefer OneDrive, thatā€™s fine - it means you wonā€™t want to use Photos. But please stop saying that itā€™s useless for everyone. That simply isnā€™t the case

3 Likes

I am saying that it is useless for anybody who does not want to import images in a local mediathek, but instead from some other location. And thatā€™s all people I know of.

iCloud? That is only possible when enabling iCloud sync, right?

This is pretty unusable, as you cannot combine this with any encryption I am aware of and also, when you stop using iCloud on a device, it simply deletes all content. It does not even ask, if you want yo retain content. Horrible.
Apple has so strange ideas :wink:

Your posts are full of incorrect information. Thereā€™s no point in my responding further

5 Likes

OK :slight_smile:

NeoFinder make a good impression, sadly it offers no decent way to watch and check images (full screen, with 100% option on mouse press and switching images with mouse-wheel).

I still will test this more.
Thanks again!

Mylio requires an account and login to be used, this is nothing I would use.