DT crashed. Now have missing files and orphaned files. How to match them?

Hi all,

I recently started to move more of my files into DT databases in an attempt to get more organised. Now I had the following happening:

DT crashed a few times and each times. So I reopened the application and receive a warning that databases seem to be in use by another version of DT. I continue because I only have one version and do a verification and repair. This leaves me with a group of orphaned files and missing files. As far as I could see they match more or less 1:1 (did not check them all, there are more than 300).

The damage done is moderate. I have 1-2 weeks old backups and can restore it (I was a bit lazy in connecting my time machine, my bad). So the incident definitely serves as a warning for a poor backup system and I will address it.

Apart from, I have got a few questions:

1. What is the recommended procedure if DT crashes to avoid such problems?

2. Is there a way to match orphaned files and missing files so they could be moved back in place in an automated fashion? I can do it manually, but it would be nice to use a script or something if somebody has one?

3. Is there a way to make a smart group/rule to detect missing files?

Thanks in advance!

I don’t have useful answers to your questions (I’m sure others will chip in though); but I would ask you to report the crashes by pressing the Option-key, and whilst holding it selecting Help and Report Bug from the menu; that will open a mail and attach the appropriate logs for DT to look at.

2 Likes

Good idea and thanks regardless! Will do that next time. Don’t know whether it helps now but I did that now anyway.

After running “verify and repair database” I receive the message missing files. What do I do? How do I identify which files are missing?

Harold

Rather than repeating it all here, see in “Help” or the oustanding “DEVONthink Handbook” the chapter called “Troubleshooting”.