DT hanging a lot recently

I’ve noticed that DT has been hanging quite a bit more often the last couple of days. Is there anything I can do in the short run, since I can’t throw more RAM at it right now? Very often the thing that makes it hang is opening preferences and changing the default import grouping and then trying to close preferences with a CMD - W. Also, sometimes creating new groups does it. I lose recent additions and changes when this happens. Is there anyway to quickly “save” or backup recent additions so that if DT does hang later on, I won’t lose what I did?

[1] When you press Command-S after editing a file, or add new files, or switch to a different file, DEVONthink does its thing and turns over writing the file to disk to OS X. But OS X may cache the file for a while before aftually writing it to disk. If anything goes wrong, data can be lost.

The unreleased beta of DEVONthink Pro is much more bullet-proof in this respect. The developers have by-passed an OS X step to ensure that saved data is immediately written to disk. (I suspect that this might increase battery drain in my PowerBook a bit, but the added data security is great.)

[2] Perhaps your best approach is to take steps both to ensure that DEVONthink and your computer remain stable, and to ensure recent backups of your data. See my longish post at http://www.devon-technologies.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1439.