I’ve tried everyone of the synching methods discussed above, and found all of them to have shortcomings for me personally.
After a month or so of using the symlink/dropbox/index method, I find I really like it. This has been accompanied by a few other changes in my workflow that are likely specific to the goals of my research. I still like DT as an amalgamator of my project information, largely because I find it’s search, see also, and concordance features really useful. But, with the switch to DT2.0, I found myself increasingly moving towards always using external applications for editing and document generation, which in 1.x I did in DT. It’s only a short step from external editing to indexing the external file structure. I mean, I was very happy to see DT2.0 move towards external storage of the files, but if something corrupts a database it is a serious pain to rescue the externally stored documents, which exist in a file structure that makes sense to the application, not to the human user. In the one case I’ve had of corruption, it was my own fault-- but the backups I maintained internal to DT got corrupted as well, and the only way out was to dig into the folders.
Indexing removes that risk. Indexing a symlinked folder in DropBox also gives me the synching I need. My computers exist in two different states, an thus cause problems for the chronosynch-type method. And, as I’ve said before, I’m not a fan of external drives for anything other than SuperDuper carbon copies.
Finally, the index/symlink/dropbox method also works with other aspects important to my current project-- using Oxygen to write validated TEI documents, TextMate for all my other note and transcription files (using the multimarkdown bundle), and their project management tools. And also, using svn for version control. In fact, I’m increasingly moving towards either git or svn as a repository, and indexing the checked-out working copy on each machine.
At this stage in the project, the search/concordance/see-also functions aren’t all that necessary (though I do use them to find names of individuals who show up in various places in my documents).
At any rate, soon I’m going to write up a description of the workflow as it currently exists as an update to my DT/Scrivener/Mellel series. Those posts still drive a ton of the traffic on my blog.