DT + Macbook = speed increase in DT's AI?

This isn’t really toubleshooting, but I didn’t know where else to ask…

For those of you who have upgraded your ibooks/powerbooks to Macbooks/Macbook Pros, have you noticed a considerable increase in speed in the amount of time DT takes to do its magic? Do the AI-featues, the importing/exporting, searching/find, take noticeably less time than it did on your previous laptops?

If so: does having a Macbook Pro help in this realm (i.e. speed increase) over the normal Macbook? If you post, please do mention the amount of memory and any other particulars that might be affecting your own speed increase.

And no…this question doesn’t involve those of you who have 5mb of RAM (Bill) :wink: since that isn’t possible in the laptops…

Several facts cause the speed boost, e.g.

• larger L2 cache of Intel Macs
  • faster bus, higher clock
  • better code generation of GCC compiler for Intel processors

Over here both the slowest Intel iMac and the fastest MacBook (having only 512 MB of RAM) outperform my Dual PowerMac G5 (having 2 GB of RAM) by a factor of 2. Therefore the difference between iBooks/PowerBooks and MacBooks (Pro) is probably even more significant.

Thanks, Chris. I’d have thought so.

Nonetheless, I’d appreciate anyone’s impressions who switched from an iBook/Powerbook (i.e. mac laptop) up to the new ones. And, yes, I do understand that this would be a subjective, non-scientifically controlled impression. In fact, that’s what I want: what an end user of DT on a laptop (before/after the switch) notices in responsiveness, speed of AI featuers, etc.

Thanks.

Just one more note - compared to the upcoming database & AI engine (currently under development), the current releases are both slower and less powerful :slight_smile:

[quote=“talazem”]
This isn’t really toubleshooting, but I didn’t know where else to ask…

For those of you who have upgraded your ibooks/powerbooks to Macbooks/Macbook Pros, have you noticed a considerable increase in speed in the amount of time DT takes to do its magic?

I switched from an iBook G4/933Mhz to a MacBook Pro 1.83Mhz with 2G RAM, and yes I do see a noticeable difference in all operations. Everything’s faster, and moving about among folders etc is almost instantaneous, whereas I used to have to wait somietimes. And searches are much faster, generally taking less than a second or two. In short, DT now works fast enough I rarely am waiting for it. Still I look forward to a faster and more pwoerful program in V 2.

Me, too. We’re never satisfied, are we? :slight_smile:

I’ve upgraded from a 3 year old PoweBook to a MacBook Pro. I only started using DEVONThink pro again after the uggrade so I can’t comment about the speed increase.

I would image the speed different between a MacBook and MacBook Pro might be insignificant. The major difference is the GPU (graphics card) and I don’t think that would matter. The processor speeds, HD speed, and I believe memory speed are about the same.