DT Pro Not Creating Zip Files

Hi. I am using the latest version of DevonThink Pro. I am trying to create a zip folder of my database through Script/Export/Daily Backup Archive. However, the app on my Macbook Air keeps crashing on me and stops responding. I have tried a number of times. What should I do?

Also, I apologize for asking this again since it has been discussed several times but I have a related question about backing up. I have synced DT Pro with my iCloud and Dropbox. I understand this is not a back up. To be clear: is the best way to back up is to manually copy paste the zip folder by using Script/Export/Daily Backup Archive to an external drive AND/OR manually using TimeMachine to backup data to an external drive. Will using Time Machine backup ALL my data, including files and folders and their contents?

Thank you for the clarification.

Welcome @flo0290

What version of DEVONthink are you running?

To report the crash, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

Regarding backups, we blogged about this recently: https://www.devontechnologies.com/search?q=backup&from=blog

Time Machine backs up your entire Home directory by default. This would include the Global Inbox and DEVONthink’s core App Support items. Assuming your databases are located in the Home directory, like ~/Databases, they would be backed up too.

Hi, thank you for the note. Is there way I can confirm that my databases are located in said location. I have not made any changes to the default settings so I am assuming this is the case.

I am using 2.11.3 version of Devonthink.

You’re welcome!

If you do a Spotlight search in the Finder for kind:database dtBase2, you can show databases on your machine. Select Show all in Finder in the lefthand pane to open a Finder search window.

If you want to move the databases to the ~/Databases folder, select File > Close Database > Close All first, then move them from the Finder search window. After they’re moved, you can double-click each to open them in DEVONthink…

Hi again. So I have closed the database and then moved it to the ~/Databases folder on my macbook. Will this mean that it will be automatically stored in TimeMachine?

I also want to store it remotely, for example, in a usb. However, every time I try to transfer, it tells me that there was error in transferring because some data could not be read or written. Please advise.

Will this mean that it will be automatically stored in TimeMachine?

If Time Machine is set at its defaults, then yes.

I also want to store it remotely, for example, in a usb. However, every time I try to transfer, it tells me that there was error in transferring because some data could not be read or written. Please advise.

A usb what? An external drive? Do note, the drive should be formatted Mac-formatted, with HFS+ still the best option right now.

Also, you need to make sure you have sufficient space, on the boot drive and the external drive, to create a database archive zip.