dt shut-downs

This is just a heads up to other users. I’m experiencing repeated shut-downs with my dt database. I’ve contacted support, and hope that I’ll have a solution soon, but I would be interested if this is a bug or something that’s just happening to me.

Is anyone else encountering this problem?

This is not a common issue. Please send the crash logs (see folder ~/Library/Logs) to our support address and we’ll check this.

Hi

I am using the Beta 4 and having the same issue. The database undergoes “unexpected shutdowns”

Another problem I am having repeatedly, on restart, I get the “database already in use” and I have to ignore that to reopen. Is that because of the database crashing?

I will email you the crash logs.

Thanks

Dale Allen

Are you using the database in a “shared” configuration on a file server, and if so what kind of file server?

I’m having a similar problem. I’d say 75% of the time when I launch DTP, PB4, I get the “database already in use” message, which I then have to choose to ignore or DTP won’t launch. No crashing of DTP DB’s while I’m using it, however.

How do you quit DEVONthink Pro and/or how do you close the databases?

I am also not experiencing crashes but do get the “database is already in use” dialog when I open things. I close databases either by right-clicking on them while they are open and manually choosing “Close Database” OR by cmd+Q when I close DTPO completely.

I can check for console messages the next time I do this. But by using these methods I have minimized the number of times that I see the dialog box. Perhaps this will help others?

Just to add to this…

My DevonThink Pro Office will quit by itself if I leave it running for more than an hour or so. It isn’t doing anything, just sitting quietly in the background, then I’ll get the unexpectedly quit error and it will shut down. Next restart, I have to tell it to ignore the database locks on all the databases that it had open.

Note, I can reproduce this at will, just fire up DT and let it sit for a while. It will always crash.

Crashlog is attached. – er, no it isn’t because the forum wouldn’t let me. Top of the crash is at the end of the message.

Anyone else seen this?

\marc

---- Crashlog ----

Process: DEVONthink Pro [11296]
Path: /Applications/DEVONthink Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/DEVONthink Pro
Identifier: com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2
Version: 2.0 (2.0pb5)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [126]

Date/Time: 2009-05-29 12:45:55.414 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.7 (9J61)
Report Version: 6
Anonymous UUID: 279EC889-AC76-454E-8370-ACE9EE1D0473

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 2

[…]

Thread 2 Crashed:
0 ??? 0000000000 0 + 0
1 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x94101595 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 3141
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x94101c78 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 88
3 com.apple.Foundation 0x955fd530 +[NSURLConnection(NSURLConnectionReallyInternal) _resourceLoadLoop:] + 320
4 com.apple.Foundation 0x95599e0d -[NSThread main] + 45
5 com.apple.Foundation 0x955999b4 NSThread__main + 308
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x970da155 _pthread_start + 321
7 libSystem.B.dylib 0x970da012 thread_start + 34

---- Crashlog ----

That’s typical of the Intel WebKit Cache bug that was mentioned in another thread. Go to the Empty Caches menu and restart the application. That should fix it.

Thanks!

Done and done. So far, not a crash in an hour. I’ll let it go and see, but that seems to have improved things a lot.

Much appreciated!

\marc

Hi, I am having the same problem. I have clicked “empty cache” under the DevonThink Pro Office menu… and it still crashes once it’s been open about an hour. Every time.

In fact, my whole iMac was getting a bit glitchy, and so I just wiped the entire hard drive, restored my old database using Time Machine (man that took forever), downloaded Devonthink Pro Office (from the website, not from my old copy) and reauthorized it, and …

Same problem. Pretty frustrating. It crashes every time. (After about an hour.) From the first time I opened it.

Please help!

(I’ll post the crash log if someone will tell me where I can find it.)

Please post the crash log as an attachment to an email to Support.

You will find it at /Home/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/, with (depending on your application) a name like 'DEVONthink Pro_[date]_[computer name].crash. If there’s more than one such crash report, choose the most recent one.

Include in your message a brief description of the problem.

Thanks.

Hmmm, doesn’t fix it for me: crash continually, but only on my home machine. Sending crash log.