DT Web Clipper & Bookmark Does NOT Clip Selection in Chrome

Since I’m a very new DTP user, perhaps I’m doing something wrong, but I can’t seem to make the DT Web Clipper extension or “Clip to DT” bookmark to work properly in Chrome.

The DTP User Manual states:

However, I have now ran many, many tests in Google Chrome Version 42.0.2311.135 (64-bit) running Mavericks (10.9.5), and in all cases it clip the ENTIRE page, NOT the selection, to the DT web archive.

Please tell me I’m doing something wrong, and how to fix it. :confused:

Thanks.

The selection can be only added as plain text.

Thanks for the reply, Chris.

Not the answer I was looking for, but at least now I can quit trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong. :wink:

May I make an enhancement request to support clipping a selection to all formats in the DT Web Clipper extension and bookmarks? Of course I would want this to work in Chrome, FireFox, and Safari.

One great use case is this forum (and other forums). Most often I don’t want to clip, the entire page, only one or two posts.

Thanks.

You can clip a selection to a new web archive, rich text, or plain text using Services in Safari. I have no idea which Services are currently supported in FireFox or Chrome.

@Greg_Jones:

OK, thanks. That works very well in Safari.
Unfortunately, Safari is my least favorite browser. I prefer Chrome, then Firefox.

Is there any way this service can be added to Chrome and Firefox?

If it’s not showing in Chrome or FireFox, it is because they do not yet fully support OSX Services. If they ever do add full Services support, the DEVONthink Services will work as is.

Hmmm, in Chrome it does show:

In Safari, Services also shows:

So I wonder why Chrome would support one DTP service but not the others?

What is interesting is that the Evernote Clipper in Chrome is by far the best of the three browsers.

What’s also interesting, over here at least, is that the Evernote Clipper in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox looks and behaves exactly the same in each browser. :open_mouth:

Thanks for pointing that out. It has been well over a year since I last used Safari EN Web Clipper, and at your prompting I just tried it again. What a big difference! It has changed dramatically for the better!

The FireFox EN Clipper Ver 6+ just came out of a year-long beta, and is still showing some problems, so I have been using Chrome as my default browser for over a year now.

But I’m going to give Safari a try. DTP certainly supports it better, and the EN Clipper is much improved. Being able to clip selections on web pages into DTP as a web archive or rich text is huge for me.

There’s that “over here” again. :confused: But I already asked about it in my other thread.

Thanks.

I do most captures from Web HTML pages as rich text of a selected area of the page, using the Service keyboard shortcut Command-). In cases where it’s useful to preserve layout within the selected area, there’s a similar Service to capture as WebArchive, using the keyboard shortcut Command-%.

That works in Safari, DEVONagent and the DEVONthink browser. Those Services are not supported by Chrome or Firefox.

Safari’s Reader button automatically displays the principal content of a Web page, such as the article it presents. Press Command-A to select the article, then Command-) to capture it as rich text. But depending on the page layout, information such as author and post date may or may not be included in Reader’s display. When it’s not included, I manually copy that from the page and paste it into the captured document in DEVONthink.

1 Like

Please excuse this query from a new user, rather confused by the various clipping options. Ideally I would like to achieve a clipping and eventual output of
Title
Text selection

suitable for compiling a simple newsletter of comment links written in markdown. It is something that’s really easy using, for example, Drafts iOS app web capture. So far I have managed to find any way to clip like that on MacOS

I can see how to get various types of content to the inbox, but not how to then copy or export in a format that includes title, URL as well as the clipping.
Hope this makes sense

Have you tried the Selection Bookmarklet from here: devontechnologies.com/downlo … nuals.html ?