DT3.0b2 PDF preview not working correctly after update

When I updated to b2 the preview for PDF files stopped working correctly. Now, when a PDF file is selected in the document list the content ‘flashes’ in the preview window and then the window goes blank. Also, the ‘open’ menubar item gives the same results. Icons of the files are displaying correctly.

When I select the menubar item for PDFpenPro (my default PDF app), the PDF file opens as expected.

PDF files were displaying correctly in b1.

Here are some stats on my setup.
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB

System Software Overview:
System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G2016)
Kernel Version: Darwin 16.7.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: John’s Mac mini
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Time since boot: 1 day 16:02

1 Like

Welcome @PonaciousPioneer

This is an issue with Sierra. We strongly suggest upgrading to macOS 10.13 High Sierra or higher. Sierra was a terrible release, full of bugs, especially concerning PDFs.

PS:

Thought it might relate to the MacOS. I’ve tried to upgrade my MacMini to the latest version, but my MacMini is too old. I’ll see it I can find High Sierra and attempt an upgrade to it. Otherwise, I’ll continue to use PDFpenPro to view and edit my PDFs.

BTW, the PDFs did work correctly with DT3.0b1 so It looks like something changed with b2.

I’ll see it I can find High Sierra and attempt an upgrade to it.

The hardware requirements should be the same for High Sierra, since it was essentially a bug-fix for Sierra :slight_smile:

PS: macOS 10.13 High Sierra
:shushing_face: :stuck_out_tongue:

Caveat emptor though, ie. make sure your Time Machine backups are current before you dig into this. Just a friendly suggestion.

After completing 24+ hours for download (via a slow DSL connection) and installation (without any issues), High Sierra is working and the issue with previews of PDFs is resolved. Thanks for the suggestion about upgrading.

1 Like

You’re very welcome. :slight_smile: