DT3 - Adding PDF text annotation on rotated PDF pages - annotations do not rotate

When adding a text annotation in DT3 (currently on v3.0.4) on a rotated page of a PDF document, the text alignment of the text annotation is based on the “original” PDF page orientation.

Practically this means, e.g.,

1. if I have scanned a page of a document in an upside-down orientation.
  2. I rotate the page two times to the right (180 degrees rotation)
  3. I add an text annotation to the page

Then on my view the text annotation is upside down (relative to my view).

To me, this behaviour is counter-intuitive, as I would expect the text annotation to be aligned with the current page rotation (e.g. as in Preview or PDF Expert).

My request is:

• can new PDF text annotations be aligned in orientation with the current rotation of the PDF page that is annotated?
  • if not, can the option to rotate text annotations be added?

Thank you for the bug report! Which version of macOS do you use?

I just tried this successfully on macOS 10.15.3 after rotating a PDF page. Did you rotate the page on your own, does it depend on the document?

macOS 10.14.6 (18G3020)

I rotated the PDF page on my own. I have tested it on 3 pre-existing PDF documents from different sources.

The cases which I tested were:
case A) Turning PDF page in DT3
Followed steps:
Import PDF to DT3
select the PDF in DT3 by double click (opens a DT3 window with the PDF document)
push ‘rotate right’ in the toolbar (a single page is turned 90 degrees)
select ‘text annotation’ in the toolbar
click the location for the annotation
type the annotation ‘test’ (note that the ‘textbox’ of the annotation does not resize while or after typing, the text is not visible on the PDF)
resize the annotation

case B) Turning PDF page in PDF expert

Open PDF in PDF Expert (v2.5.1)
Rotate a single page (CMD-R)
Save the PDF in PDF Expert (CMD-S)

Import PDF to DT3
select the PDF in DT3 by double click (opens a DT3 window with the PDF document)
select ‘text annotation’ in the toolbar
click the location for the annotation
type the annotation ‘test’ (note that the ‘textbox’ of the annotation does not resize while or after typing, the text is not visible on the PDF)
resize the annotation

(note that the ‘textbox’ of the annotation does not resize while or after typing, the text is not visible on the PDF)

Though not related to the main reported issue, that text annotations do not align, the default size of the textbox of an annotation is a usebility issue also raised by @kappabear in Annotation keyboard shortcuts - #3 by kappabear (but now I know why it does not resize :slight_smile: )

That’s basically identical to what I did. Could you send such a document to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks.

sent

I replicated this here…

1. Selected PDF.
  2. Rotated page 180° and saved.
  3. Added Text annotation…

fw9 - TagSync_1984-04-30 copy.pdf.zip (62.6 KB)

1 Like

I’m having this same problem in DT 3.9.4. Was there ever any resolution to this?