DT3 auto group/auto classify?

Perhaps I wasn’t specific enough, I should’ve said “recently silent“ because since the rather abrupt comments (or at least I found them so) there have been suggestions made on how to deal with what they say is the problem with the feature and other users have joined the thread to say that they are also hoping the feature returns. I think it would’ve been a gesture of good faith to perhaps comment briefly on the suggestions made. After all they did take the time to single me out in order to allege that I was trying to make another user feel uncomfortable… all I was hoping for was a word or two, not a PhD dissertation on the issue, Just something to acknowledge that they appreciated the depth of the frustration. To repeat, I find the reaction to have been callous and seemingly unconcerned… Sorry but that’s the way I feel And if it was my company I would not want my customers, any of them, to feel that way

Also, I must say I find this comment uncalled for. I was simply requesting a response to the suggestions, one way or the other. , As I said just an acknowledgement…

And finally:

“Do unto your customers as you want to be treated when you are a customer.** That is the whole of customer service. The rest is commentary.”

I will let them decide if this is “golden rule” is being followed.

t is clear you were being supportive… I never thought otherwise! Just giving you my initial impression of your suggestion that’s all. But thanks for the support again

Even if you were to get the response you are after it wouldn’t solve the problem. Which is that a feature / benefit of DT that you use regularly won’t be in the new DT.

In my experience of software which is only as a user is that it is not at all unusual for developers to discontinue features in new versions that were useful to existing customers. Apple do it all the time with the OS, introducing so-called design changes that are in practice pointless.

As a long time DTOP user who probably only uses a fraction of its capabilities, an awareness that has been brought home to me as I experiment with DT3.3 and realise that something isn’t new and DTOP already does it, I have always found the devs and others really helpful. I have only used Autogrouo once because I then spent a disproportionate amount of time manually relocating items to where I wanted them. But I can understand why when a user such as yourself is content for DT to process thousands of inputs it would be extremely frustrating to have to come to terms with the possibility that ‘an old friend’ has been killed off because an unspecified number of other customers have had issues with it and the devs conclude it doesn’t work as expected. On that point, it is presumably not working as expected for you, but how it is working is to your liking?

As a result of this thread I cannot help feeling that one possibility for you not getting an acknowledgment is that the devs are working on a solution.

The response I am after is some form of indication that the complaints (not only mine) are being taken seriously and/or that suggestions made are being considered. Clearly a response alone is not adequate

In my experience of software which is only as a user is that it is not at all unusual for developers to discontinue features in new versions that were useful to existing customers.

In over 40 years of computing, I personally cannot remember a single time when any software that I used, and this a lot, had a featured removed that was so useful to me and which was working properly (the sole concern being that it was misunderstood by some users.)

Apple do it all the time with the OS, introducing so-called design changes that are in practice pointless.

I have been using Apple since the Apple II. Again, I don’t remember any major functionality ever being removed, examples?

it would be extremely frustrating

Change frustrating to devastating.

how it is working is to your liking?

I have had and have no other complaints.

one possibility for you not getting an acknowledgment is that the devs are working on a solution.

If true great…then why not a single word to that effect?

This has been my experience with DT support most (not all) of the time.
“This things doesn’t work the way one would expect it to work.”
“That’s how it’s designed.”

This thread reminds me of one of my favourite rock songs.

(We have all had our share of frustrations, I think).
3 Likes

This feature is one of the things that attracted me to DT years ago. In the end I really don’t use it though I still love the idea. I learned early on that for my purposes taking the time to set up proper groups for my areas of research and manually placing documents etc in them greatly facilitated search and see also, which are the top features for me. That said a new and improved, or perhaps reconceptualized version of this functionality could prove really useful when intaking a large number of documents. Perhaps make it a stand alone inspector? I really like the inspector approach in dt3.

1 Like

I really like the inspector approach in dt3.

Thanks! Considering the increased horsepower in DEVONthink 3, the Inspectors are a great way to use minimal space while still allowing quick access to these powerful features :slight_smile:

Is it (Auto group) back in DT 3 b5?!
Capto_Capture%202019-07-30_01-28-31_PM|502x135

If so, than WOW! Kudos.

It is.

2 Likes

Now you will become ecstatic.

:raised_hands: :raised_hands:
While reading this (though somewhat hidden) in the release note I had a kind of a “one more thing” moment.

Though well hidden in the menus, it works like expected.
Thanks!

1 Like

I am, as expected, quite ecstatic :grinning::grinning::grinning: and kudos to the Devs for what I clearly believe to be a sensible business decision and for listening to our concerns. Also I offer my apologies to anybody, including the Devs, who were peturbed by my vehemence on this but it is impossible for me to describe how truly screwed I was without this feature. Anyway, all’s well that ends well and I am just glad it it’s back finally. Much thanks to those who supported me on this quest.

Also, I love the new name (wink, wink).

2 Likes

Another for my track-record of accurate predictions! :smiley:

I shall experiment using the feature so as to experience what the fuss has been about.

And as I replied to you at that time:

The last thing I want to do now is open old wounds so to say but if we had gotten the “word”, then much of the upset could’ve been avoided…oh well. As I also said “all’s well that ends well.”

This was actually a recent decision (last week) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Christian… What I meant by “word” was an indication that the re-inclusion was even being considered, not the final decision. But anyway, like I said, the last thing I want to do at this point is rehash old issues. I’m extremely pleased with the decision and I look forward to moving ahead with the new version and more constructive discussions!

I should also say that the feature works very well as a “parallel” option to the normal Group feature and interesting that it activates on shift click which reinforces that notion. The only thing I’m wondering about is the decision to limit it to pro users and up. As a long time pro user it’s not an issue for me but I was just curious.