DT3/B6: Progress Indicator für Sync

Hello,

I sync indexed documents between Mac, iPhone and iPad. Since the databases get bigger and bigger I am really missing a progress indicator (or at least a state indicator) on the Mac.

I can even click the “sync all” button many times in a row. It seems that it is not disabled when a sync process is running. It could be animated when syncing, or there could be a progress bar. I never know if the sync is ready so I can start working.

Is this a bug or a misconfiguration? Or is this by intention?

Thanks in advance!

Long background tasks should be displayed in the sidebar of the frontmost main window. Window > Activity might also be an option.

Thanks. But the Activity window stays empty, and I cannot see any progress bar.

What is reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log? You should always look there for any reported errors.

This is referenced in the built-in Help > Documentation > Troubleshooting > Sync, though the Log window also reports items unrelated to sync as well.

I experimented a bit with indexing four larger directories.

The Log lists all files which DT cannot understand or which are empty (unknown format / no text). No further errors.

And – to my astonishment – a progress bar is shown while syncing. I could swear it has not been there before. But I’d better not. Maybe sync is so fast that I have never seen it. I learned that iCloud sync is made locally of course. iCloud may explain why syncing seems very fast on the first sight, but feels kind of laggy because it relies on a second sync by Apple. Maybe I’ll better give WebDAV a try for lesser sluggyness.

Sorry, this seems to have been my mistake. But I’ll keep an eye on it.

No worries!

I learned that iCloud sync is made locally of course. iCloud may explain why syncing seems very fast on the first sight, but feels kind of laggy because it relies on a second sync by Apple.

That is correct. DTSync is done locally, then iCloud uploads to Apple’s servers, then to devices using your Apple ID. This means databases may not be immediately available to sync on the other devices. The initial sync requires patience, as we have no control over the speed and reliability of iCloud’s process.