DT3 beta feedback

24 hours with the new beta, and I’m liking what I see. I have found a few things that need some tuning/adjustment. Rather than starting separate threads for each, I’ll just list them here. Perhaps others can use this thread for the same purpose.

1. Custom metadata history

At last, custom metadata is here! Great feature, but I have come across one issue. DT keeps track of the previous entries so they can be reused, but rather than waiting for the whole entry to be typed, it is saving partial inputs. See this example:

DT saved “John Ra” as I was typing “John Rawls” and “Richard Carr” while typing “Richard Carrier”. Rather than fixing this to only save final, complete entries, I’d prefer to see the auto-fill populated with just those entries currently in use.

2. Import from ScanSnap Home doesn’t trigger OCR
I’m using an ix500 and ScanSnap Home. Scanning to DT3 works great. And OCRing with the new engine works great, but only when manually triggered. DT3 is not automatically OCRing scans coming in through ScanSnap Home. I have the setting enabled (Convert Incoming Scans is set to “To Searchable PDF”).

3. No option to set OCR quality
There is no longer an option to tweak the OCR PDF quality settings. Is that by design?

4. Change menu bar sorter text to icon
I love that the Sorter is shown in the menu bar. But the text (“DEVONthink”) takes up way too much horizontal space. Can this be replaced with a smaller icon?

That’s it for now. I’ll add more as I come across them. Great job with the new update!

Thanks for the bug report, we’ll check this.

Which version of ScanSnap Home do you use? Do you send the scans directly to DEVONthink 3 or to DEVONthink 3’s inbox folder (~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox)? Only in the first case OCR is automatically performed as the sender is known.

There’s already such an option in Preferences > Sorter.

Yes, the new OCR engine with generate the output pdf with the same quality of the input file.

@daniel1113

Do you send the scans directly to DEVONthink 3 or to DEVONthink 3’s inbox folder (~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/Inbox)?

To follow up on this… you should not set the Output to in ScanSnap Home to the Global Inbox. The best option is to leave it at the software’s default or use ~/Pictures.

Yes, I am not sending scans to the Global Inbox. They’re being sent directly from ScanSnap Home to DT per https://www.devontechnologies.com/blog/configure-scansnap-home-to-scan-to-devonthink. I will check the version of ScanSnap Home when I get home tonight, but it is the latest version. In fact, I just updated it this past weekend, so it is the latest from Fujitsu.

Could you please select the ScanSnap Home app in the Finder, choose “Show Package Contents” in the contextual menu and send the file Contents > Info.plist from the package to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Maybe your version uses an unknown bundle identifier. Thanks!

@cgrunenberg I emailed the plist to you. You will see in there that my ScanSnap Home is v1.2.0.

This should be addressed in the next beta release. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

1 Like