DT3 consistently using 100% of 1 or my 4 cores

I searched the forums and saw some advice to try disabling all the Web options in the preferences. I did that, and it immediately resolved the issue, but then the next day DT went back to the high usage again, even though the web options were turned off. I’m wondering if I set something up wrong (I’m very new to DT).

I don’t know if this is related, but I’m also getting an error reported in the log window consistently every ten minutes or so:

9:45:37 AM: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -1001.) Timeout. (NSURLErrorDomain -1001)

Any help appreciated, because it CPU usage IS getting in the way. When I highlight text in documents and press CMD-C, for example, it takes anywhere from 1-3 SECONDS to complete the operation. Other areas are affected also… when I select a document in a database list, it takes 1-3 full SECONDS to show the document in the Preview pane. Yesterday, after I disabled the web preferences and the processor usage went to normal, these issues immediately went away.

Have you rebooted the machine?

Also, that warning has nothing to do with web content. It is referring to Dropbox servers not responding in a timely fashion.

Is any activity shown in Window > Activity?

Hey-

So restarting the Mac fixed the issue, but only for the rest of the day. When I work up this morning, the usage and sluggishness had returned.

No, there is nothing showing in the Window–> Activity window.

• Are you launching DEVONthink on startup?
  • Are you indexing files?
    • If so, on a networked volume ?

Yes, DT has been starting up at startup.

Re: Indexing. I don’t think so. My intention when I started setting it up was to NOT index, but I’m new enough I may have done something wrong? Is there a way to double check that I’m not indexing?

I do have a number of network drives mounted on my desktop, but again, nothing is being indexed off of them unless I made a mistake at some point.

Please launch Apple’s Activity Monitor application (see Applications > Utilities), select DEVONthink 3 in the list of processes while it’s using one core, choose the menu item View > Sample Process and send the result to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com - thanks in advance!

Sent. Thanks!

Just a suggestion but I would not launch DEVONthink on machine startup. It’s a good policy to let the machine start with as little excess burden as possible, especially if you have networked volumes connected (and no, I would not mount those on startup either).

Aliases on the desktop or in your dock would give you access to quickly launch and mount these things after the machine has cleanly booted.

2 Likes